5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EFI to Carb : Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 03:45 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Default EFI to Carb : Need Advice

What do i need to go from EFI to Carb on my 88 5.0 engine. I'm keeping the electric pump. Besides the obvious what do I need? Here are things I have been told I need by various people</P>

Carb + manifold ( Duh) , Fuel pressure regulator , Distributor .</P>

So what else do i need? I would assume I'de need new throttle cable maybe. I have plenty of hood clearance now so that will be ok. Also I know alot of people swear that EFI is better , it may well be , but what are the advantages of a carb ? I have looked around and found that I can get a pretty nice manifold and carb for the same price if not cheaper than some EFI intakes that are out. Also they seem to be alittle easier to deal with . I am not great with engines yet and when i look at a carb'd engine it just looks so much simpler and less cluttered. Which is what i want. I mainly just want to get rid of all the crazy wiring in the engine bay and make it look nicer. I know they make smaller EFI intakes and all ,and that it EFI is probably a better choice for gas mileage and other things . But i could care less about mileage in my tiny town. So What do i need to get this done ? and any advice about what i said is welcome wether it is what i want to hear or not. I want to know pro's and con's for going carb. But keep in mind I like the way carb engines look better and i could care less about mileage. Also people say EFI is easier to tune , but I am a poor boy who doesn't want to pay for chips and machine shop computer tuning and all that crap when i could get any old redneck from my neighborhood to mess around with my carb haha. Besides this car is just for fun and messing with ricers. i don't car about everyday driveability or cold weather starting and all.</P>

</P>

</P>
Old 06-19-2003, 08:02 AM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

The advantage of EFI over carb is being able to jump in the car whenever and have it run perfectly.

It's only easier to tune if you have the program and know how to use it. I think that you can get more power over a wider range of driving conditions with the EFI though. But overall I'd say that carb is easier for most people to tune, and for WOT they do just dandy on the power end.

I'm keeping my EFI because it irritates me when I get in my truck and have to wait for it to warm up before leaving.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:20 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

yeah my dad told me that it will be irritating during the winter months. I'm just kinda burnt out having to look at my almost 100% finished stang and not have it run right because of something with the EFI. Makes me so mad. And my uncle who helped swap it over can only work on it on the weekends. So i don't dfeel like waiting anymore. i just want it done. So I am going to buy whatever I ened and have my dad help me put it on then have someone that knows what they are doing come and make sure everything is cool. I just have to get it all together as soon as possible to get it started.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:50 PM
BURN

Yoy shouldn't need to change the throttle cable. You'll just need to mess around with the linkage on the carb a bit to make everything work. I did an EFI to card conversion on a 5.0 last year. But I was putting the engine in a classic car so that is why I did it. Its sooooo much cleaner and easier to work on than my stock 5.0. No wiring to have to worry about. Its so much easier and more basic. If something isn't working its much easier to figure out what it is than having to go through all the wiring. However, you can get more power out of an EFI system providing you know HOW to tune it properly.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:41 AM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

I've got a pair of Edelbrock 750cfm electric choke carbs sitting here. I'll let them go cheap. They just weren't working for me on my truck so I swapped on a Holley. One has perhaps a hundred miles on it, the other perhaps a thousand.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:50 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

yeah , my thoughts exactly. I think engines look to cluttered with EFI junk and wiring and crap all over them. I don't mean that EFI is junk , I just mean I think carb engines are more clean and simple looking . And simple is definetly a plus for me. I have lost my mind with all the wiring and crazy crap I have to deal with trying to get this engine swapped in. I'm going tomorrow morning to buy the manifold , carb , and fuel pressure regulator. What manifold and carb would I have the best luck with on a pretty much stock engine. Also i think i mgiht have some extra cash now after I got my bonus check. So if I can get a good deal on this stuff tomorrow I might have enough left for heads. Whats a good Carb , manifold , head combo? Or does it really make a difference which I use? Oh , and do i need anything other than what ive listed?
Old 06-20-2003, 11:55 AM
WhiteHawk
2nd Gear Member

I have an EFI in my 5.0, but when I finally swap that engine out (not for now, it still has some good miles left) I'm going carb....probably Demon. Demon has a few types, I read in one of the stang mags that they did tests on them and they came out great! -- Depending on the power your engine produces is what you should base it on...I think (if I remember right, memory goes as I get closer to grampa status which will happen next month) -- Speed Demon 650 and I think it also comes in 750 , Mighty Demon I think that one comes in like 3 sizes 650,750,850 (don't quote me on that though) and the (kneel please) Race Demon and that one I know comes in like 4 sizes...650,750,825 and OH MY GOD 1000!!! -- prices are probably from the $425. and up to about $725.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:10 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Well I had to come in to work early today and I had to ask my dad to go get my stuff at this performance place in town. He called me and whatever he bought ended up being $1200. But thats with an MSD distributer and a fuel pressure regulator. I know he said it was 600cfm and that it was chrome and that the manifold was polished. He called and told me how much and I was like holy crap see how much without the polished crap hahaha. So i really don't know what he got yet. but I told him to get the best stuff they had without getting something that won't work right with my setup. Now I barely got enough money to live on much less get it painted now haha. How hard is it to put the carb on and get it running? I mean he says he can probably do it without to much trouble , but I've hear that before.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:48 PM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

Don't forget gaskets.

For sure go with either Holley or Demon. Edelbrocks **** me off, and you can't really tune them as well.

As far as installing the carb - just take it out of the box, plop it on, and bolt it down. Then you'll need to set your idle. There should be instructions with the carb. It's usually as simple as turning three screws or so, and possibly adjusting your timing.
I recommend when you get a couple hundred to go get it dyno tuned (unless you've got a box of different jets/rods/whatever and know what you're doing). They'll be able to get the a/f ratio dialed in correctly so you're making optimum power.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:31 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Yeah your right about the dyno tune. I had planned on it . I didn't come with any other jets and he didn't buy any. Here iw what he got (it looks beautiful put together by the way) Pro. products Power Plus intake manifold (Polished) , Holley 600 cfm 4 barrel w/ elec choke and vacuum secondaries. Has A/t kickdown . Its polished too . Got an MSD distributer , not sure if they make many kinds but this one costed like $294.00 so I would assuse it's good hahaha. The fuel pressure regulator was $90 .It's Mallory. Got all the gaskets and everything . So hopefully I can get it all in there in the next few days. I hope it isn't to hard. Any things I should look out for or keep in mind?

Quick Reply: EFI to Carb : Need Advice