5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

won't restart when hot, Vol. 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 04:24 PM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

Default won't restart when hot, Vol. 2

PLEASE READ THIS IN FULL BEFORE REPLYING.

ok, so on my 88gt, it will not restart when the engine is hot -- it has to cool off for about 10-15 minutes before starting. once it starts, it runs fine.

so far i've replaced the ignition module (on the distributor, even tho people on here call that the TFI, ford lists it as the ignition module), and i've replaced the hall effect sensor inside the distributor.

i'm currently getting fuel and spark, but the engine won't fire up and run when its hot. is it possible for the MAF or IAC to cause a no-start?? if so, how can i check the MAF and IAC to see if they're the cause??
Old 08-15-2006, 04:44 PM
5speed GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: won't restart when hot, Vol. 2

does it just spin over or does it attempt to start and doesnt
Old 08-15-2006, 05:24 PM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

i'm currently screwing with it out in my garage, and its starting every few attempts. so now i'm fighting a goddamn intermittent deal WHILE its hot. very aggrivating

for the times when it won't start, it will spin fast, but it won't try to fire and start.

i've got spark, and i'm getting 35psi fuel with key on, 30 while running.

checked timing ~~ 12-14 degrees BTC
Old 08-15-2006, 06:23 PM
EADracing93
1st Gear Member

sounds like you have ignition/coil related problems. not to familiar with the 88 mustang ignition system but happens alot in older vehicles... the condensor inside the distributor and the coil loose spark power in hot engines when they get old. you might still be geting spark... but what color is the spark? if the spark your getting is blue, then your ok, but if its yellow... youve got weak spark. sounds to me like something to do with distributor/coil/ignition systems
Old 08-15-2006, 06:28 PM
REDS 5.0
2nd Gear Member

A guy I work with recently had this problem with his 5.0 F-150. Turned out his coolant sensor that feeds info to the computer was the culprit. let us know.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:17 PM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

his coolant sensor fixed a spark concern?? how in the HELL would someone figure that out?? lol

ok, so about this weak spark stuff -- all of the electronics in the distributor have been replaced. the cap/rotor were done a year ago. the hall effect sensor and ignition module were replaced last week, and neither changed my symptoms.
if the spark IS weak (yellowish), does that eliminate any parts?? such as the ignition coil on the left fender, or some of the dizzy electronics?? or the ECM??

i'll tell ya right now, the ECT will not be changed in hopes of curing my problem.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Faulty coolant sensor will give a signal to the computer not to start the car because its saying its too hot. Try a new one. Its only 8 bucks at local auto parts store and simple to install.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:58 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yep check the coolant sensor, iat sensor, iac sensor, thermostat, and the maf sensor, could be any one of the five, but I'm beting on the coolant sensor.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:21 PM
REDS 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Faulty coolant sensor will give a signal to the computer not to start the car because its saying its too hot. Try a new one. Its only 8 bucks at local auto parts store and simple to install.
Maybe that explains it for you. I know you think it might be a "spark" problem but sometimes you cannot LOOK at a problem from a logical standpoint. Don't hate the source..... just love the simplicity!
Old 08-16-2006, 02:45 AM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

mmmmm, ok. if its more than $8, i'm hunting somebody down lol. at least there's always the comfort of new parts, whether or not they fixed anything!

Quick Reply: won't restart when hot, Vol. 2