5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

pulled codes today; 66, 94, 44

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 01:08 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default pulled codes today; 66, 94, 44

lately my car has been feeling like its using the transmission (aod) as a brake for the car when i let off the gas but only when im in 4th gear. when this happens, my check engine light comes on. seeing the check engine light, i always look at the pms and sure enough, maf voltage is low. when i come to a stop the engine light goes off and maf voltage is fine.

decided to check the codes and with the key on, engine off i got code 66 which is low maf voltage

then i did a check of the codes with the engine running. i got code 94 which is air diverter solenoid circuit failure according to the the book that came with my code reader. my haynes manual says 94 is secondary air system inoperative.
then i got code 44 which is thermactor air system failure according to the book that came with my code reader. my haynes manual says 44 is air management system inoperative.

what are these things and how do i fix them?
Old 08-16-2006, 01:38 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: pulled codes today; 66, 94, 44

Do you have the thermactor system (smog stuff) still connected?.......air pump working?......
Old 08-16-2006, 01:43 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

my egr valve is hooked up and should be working. the smog pump is installed and spinnning but it doesnt pump the air anywhere. its only there because i have a sc and need a pulley there and at the time i put the sc in i didnt feel like waiting 3 days for a smog delete pulley so i just run the pump. the air it pumps just blows into the engine bay. i have no cats so why pump the air into my exhaust......

Old 08-16-2006, 02:17 AM
leadfootdriver
2nd Gear Member

Those air valves in the thermactor system are vacum operated. They could be broken. Then there's the Tab/Tad solenoids in between the firewall, and the passenger shock tower that regulate the air valves. Check them with an Ohm meter for continuity. They should read between 51-108 Ohms.

Also, add a vacum pump to the solenoids to see if they hold vacum. Do that to the air valves too.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:31 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: leadfootdriver

Those air valves in the thermactor system are vacum operated. They could be broken. Then there's the Tab/Tad solenoids in between the firewall, and the passenger shock tower that regulate the air valves. Check them with an Ohm meter for continuity. They should read between 51-108 Ohms.

Also, add a vacum pump to the solenoids to see if they hold vacum. Do that to the air valves too.
can you explain in more detail how to check the ohms? which wires would i hook the meter too? while the car is running ro just with power on?

even if those valves werent working properly, why would i have low maf voltage?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:44 AM
leadfootdriver
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

can you explain in more detail how to check the ohms? which wires would i hook the meter too? while the car is running ro just with power on?

Just unplug the connectors and put your meter on the terminals in the solenoids.

Maybe you MAF is dirty. Hit the heater wires with some brake cleaner or the like. Don't use high pressure from an air hose 'cuz you'll just destroy the MAF. Don't use carb cleaner either. It's to strong, and it eats everything.

Do you run a K&N filter? The oil can cake up on the MAF heater wires. BTW the heater wires look kinda' like light bulb filaments. Clean it without starting the motor. Let it dry before running.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:51 AM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

if you're checking resistance (ohms) then you want no power running through the wire. test resistance with key off, engine off
Old 08-16-2006, 03:10 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

and there is only two wires per solinoid and i just put one prong from the multimeter in each wire?

do you think that because i have the vac lines plug that should be hooked to the air bypass valves, the codes are coming up?

i have a pro-m maf so i think i have to take the electronics off to check the the wires to see if they are dirty. if the wires are dirty, why dont i get low maf voltage at any other time beside when i decelerate from OD? idle is perfect, driving in 1st second and 3rd gears the engine runs perfect, even crusing in OD the car runs flawlessly its only when i let off the gas while in OD that i have issues (which makes me think the maf is clean)