5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

im starting to hate my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: im starting to hate my car

ORIGINAL: P Zero

I agree with 93must. Just because its an easy swap for us doesnt mean its easy for him. Not to mention TOOLS. You dont know if he has any. How about a torque wrench. You cant just tighten up an intake to what you think might be correct. All I can say is GET A DAMN SERVICE MANUAL>
-P.
i have the haynes repair manual

i do not have a torque wrench. But i have all the basic tools. i just got a 300 peice tool set from my dad
Old 08-16-2006, 05:53 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

Find someone at school that's into working on cars or Stangs and talk to him see what he can do. I remember when I went to school there was this one dude that worked on our cars here and there. He knew basics like tune up, timing which I didn't know at the time and all we gave the guy was some Wacky tabacky. Maybe some of your friend know some one that'll do it for like 20 to 40 bucks or beer. There got to be someone! Anyways good luck!
Old 08-16-2006, 06:09 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

You can rent a torque wrench from Autozone or advanced Auto. Also, for the fuel line remover tools.. they make a universal tool that you rotates into an X kind of shape at autozone.... DONT GET THAT ONE. Get the little plastic ones... I think its like 10 bucks for a set of 4-5 in different sizes... they are much easier to use. And dont forget to get all of the old gasket off, etc. Definetly get a haynes manual.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Black95MustangGT
4th Gear Member

well on another forum a guy sent me a picture of the installation, im better off just removing the gasket and putting a new one on. Its better for my budget as of right now. Im pretty sure its the upper to lower and if so, the gasket is right in the middle correct?

can somebody give me a website where i can buy the gasket for it, and is there a specific way to remove the gasket so i dont keep any peices on it.

thats the description, the gasket in the middle is what is ****ed up im pretty sure.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:26 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

summitracing.com has gaskets.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:33 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

-You can get the gasket at any parts store or website like kragen.com, napaonline.com.......
-Rent or buy a torque wrench, you need it.
-Follow your Haynes manual step for step and read every direction carefully.
-Have a friend help you even if they don't know about cars, two heads are better then one.
-When torqueing down intake bolts make sure to follow the pattern discribed in the manual.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:52 PM
93must
3rd Gear Member

Your local ford store should have one.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:52 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

my advice is to take plenty of plenty of digital pictures while you're doing it...take a picture before and after every step, then when you're putting it back together, if you forget where something went or how it went on, you can just look at the picture of that step. its saved my *** a few times. also, put all of your bolts in seperate plastic bags and label them with a sharpie. and if you have a workbench (a garage floor works as well), lay everything out on it in the order that you take it off...then when you're putting it back together, you can just go down the bench and put stuff back on in the order that you took it off. LOL i'm an engineer so i guess i'm a little **** about this stuff.

of course, if you dont have a digital camera, then forget about that part
Old 08-16-2006, 06:57 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chath_brick

my advice is to take plenty of plenty of digital pictures while you're doing it...take a picture before and after every step, then when you're putting it back together, if you forget where something went or how it went on, you can just look at the picture of that step. its saved my *** a few times. also, put all of your bolts in seperate plastic bags and label them with a sharpie. and if you have a workbench (a garage floor works as well), lay everything out on it in the order that you take it off...then when you're putting it back together, you can just go down the bench and put stuff back on in the order that you took it off. LOL i'm an engineer so i guess i'm a little **** about this stuff.

of course, if you dont have a digital camera, then forget about that part
+1 listen to man
Old 08-16-2006, 07:44 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

Get a small bottle of propane, the camping type, and spray it on the seam where you think it's leaking. If it's sucking in air there then you will notice an idle change, if you don't notice one then start slowly spraying it all over until you hit a spot that changes the idle. It's a cheap way of finding a vacuum leak.

Quick Reply: im starting to hate my car