5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HCI teardown

Old 08-17-2006, 03:49 AM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

Default HCI teardown

well i started working at about 4 o lcock this afternoon till about 10 tearing the engin apart for my HCI swap. got everything off pretty much jsut have 3 more bolts to get the drivers side head off. so far it has went ok but the instructions that they give are kinda ****ty. the main issue i have had so far are 2 things

1- i am not sure why but there are 4 holes on the bottom of the trick flow intake manifold as where the stock only had 2.

2- on the lower intake manifold there are 3 more holes than on the stock one??? they did however give me three allen head bolt like plugs that can be put in there anyone know if thats what im suposed to do???

tomarow i will have the heads off early than its on to the cam, is it alot of work to take out the fan and radiator???

also does anyone have a link to more detaild instructions with pictures than what comes iwth the kit???

thanks guys for ;istening ot me haha im excited to get out nad drive

if anyone has any tips or advise or insight please share!!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 06:58 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: HCI teardown

You mean 3 more mounting holes or just holes for thermistat? Or sensors? Ussually u just plug those up.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

im pretty sure that they just need to be plugged up so no bggie there. any idea about the bottom of the upper intake manifold?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:51 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Not sure BUT you asked about the radiator and the fan. The radiator is VERY simple... just take off the upper/lower radiator hoses, unbolt the fan schroud from the rad (two bolts up top) and than unbolt the radiator hold down's (two black things up top) and it will slide right out. Now the fan, I have taken mine off before but it was a long time ago and I forget how it was.... if I remember correctly is was a pain in the a$s though. I think I sent you this link before but if not it has some pretty good information and might be better than your trickflow directions. Good luck and keep us posted.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/techa...intakeswap.pdf

Old 08-17-2006, 01:03 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Good job man, just keep taking **** apart, make sure that you label everything, and torque everything down correctly. How do the tops of your pistons look?
Old 08-18-2006, 01:31 AM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

tops of the pistonjs looked good and the cylinders looked great. im reasembling the engine now, i jsut got the new heads on(pics tomarrow) and the cam is in. BUT my car is off of TDC. how do i get it back to TDC so i can get the timing right??

also i REALLY need to know how the plugs on the bottom of the trick flow intake (upper) works. there are 3 nozzels that they give you than just one big hole!!! someone help me cause my stocker only had 2 plaves for hoses to go.

also i was told with the aluminum cylinder heads that i sould use anti seize becasue they are aluminum and that can be a problem with the non aluminum parts.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:44 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Goosepoop302

tops of the pistonjs looked good and the cylinders looked great. im reasembling the engine now, i jsut got the new heads on(pics tomarrow) and the cam is in. BUT my car is off of TDC. how do i get it back to TDC so i can get the timing right??

also i REALLY need to know how the plugs on the bottom of the trick flow intake (upper) works. there are 3 nozzels that they give you than just one big hole!!! someone help me cause my stocker only had 2 plaves for hoses to go.

also i was told with the aluminum cylinder heads that i sould use anti seize becasue they are aluminum and that can be a problem with the non aluminum parts.
Yes, use anti-seize on the heads. I can get you pics of my street heat saturday, but I won't be back at it until then. Compare the openings to your stock lower and plug the holes you don't need. Same w/ the upper. I plugged the one on the back of the upper and ran everything from underneath. I think I'm only using 3 of them...maybe just 2.....
Old 08-18-2006, 01:55 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

I found a pic of the lower...hope this helps...
Old 08-18-2006, 02:10 AM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

ok i thought i was jsut suposed to block all 3 of those EXTRA holes off >< but ya know the upper manifold??? on the bottom ofthat there are 4 holes. they give you three outlets for them my stock has 2 ...
Old 08-18-2006, 02:21 AM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

also what sould i expect the first time i try to start this thing when im done??? is it gunna sound laot differant than before???? also how is the idke gunna be r how will it act?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HCI teardown