5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Why is my engine running soo hot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 06:10 PM
NightmareStang22
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Why is my engine running soo hot?

It could be the gage...samething on my 95. I have a 4 core radiator, new Thermostat and two fans.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:10 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Well, I have a clutch fan so can't comment on that one....
Old 08-17-2006, 06:15 PM
RawGtPower
3rd Gear Member

yeah its a stock belt setup. The fan kicks on for like 30 seconds and it does cool the engine, but a min later the temp rises right back up and the fan kicks back on.. its repetitive. Could an air pocket in the coolant cause it to ruun hotter? if so, how can i eliminate the air?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:17 PM
SD_LX_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Depending on where you live and if its gonna be hot for a while (like texas or whatnot) just take the T-stat out for the reminder of summer.. it takes probaly 2 times (or more) as long for your engine to shed tempature than it does gaining it. so just drop the over all temp for the get-go. Plus it cheep... just my .02c
Old 08-17-2006, 06:20 PM
RawGtPower
3rd Gear Member

how safe could that be.... it cools down at night, and the last thing i need is to crack a head or block
Old 08-17-2006, 06:23 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Yeah an air pocket could do that. The way I always bleed every car is, as Im filling the rad. I periodically squeeze the upper hose, thatll burp the system. Even when you think its full, burp it anyway, even if it means itll overflow out of the rad. After that, run your car, with the rad cap off, until you can visually see the fluid flow inside the radiator. At this point the fluid level should drop. Top off as needed, let it run until you see the T-stat open a few times, each time the level should drop.
-P.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:13 PM
RawGtPower
3rd Gear Member

whats a normal operating temperature after its been running for a while?
Old 08-17-2006, 11:01 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

I take my tstat out during the summer to because it get so humid around here. Make sure your bottom radiator hose isnt collapsed or anything.

Dide you make sure the head gaskets are on the right way?

Also, the car draining itself when the fan comes on means your alternator isnt big enough. Do a 3G conversion, with low voltage the fan may not be putting out the cfm it should be.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:59 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

I understand you have all new componets, but I am having the same situation, I think. I replaced the fan clutch, replaced the t-stat with a 180, and have a new radiator and hoses. I also have a new aftermarket gauge. Still runs hot, according to the gauge. So, I think I have a crap gauge, which I will replace after I check it with an external thermometer. I also went ahead and purchased another new high flow t-stat, called a, "pill box t-stat", it has wax that melts at a certain temp and opens the t-stat. I dont know!!!!!!!!!!! I dont mean to high jack the thread, but I cant figure out what my problem is, I have burped it, I baby it, I talk nice..........what next? According to the speed shop, the pill box is more accurate than the spring type t-stat, and if you replace a t-stat with out programing the computer, the lower t-stat will cause more harm than good, so I am going to put back the stock temp and see what happens. I dont know if any of this helps you, but I am at a loss.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:01 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

never heard of that t-stat before, you did buy it from the guys that make the turbonator did you?

Quick Reply: Why is my engine running soo hot?