5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I went carb , but I have an AO

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 05:59 AM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Default I went carb , but I have an AO

I have an AOD tranny and I have started converting over to carb. What am i going to have to do to make my tranny work now? The dude at Advanced auto said Lokar makes a kit for it or something. Do I need this kit or will it work without having to do anything? And if it doesn't work why? They tell me it has to do with not using the computer anymore but I didn't really see any wires from the tranny other than the neutral saftey. Anyways I know I probably look stupid for asking this question but I need to know cause we are putting the carb and everything on tomorrow .</P>
Old 06-23-2003, 09:16 AM
nostang
2nd Gear Member

You must have the throttle valve cable hooked up to the trans or it will burn up very quickly.The best bet would be to get a cable and bracket from the junk yard off of a carb equiped AOD.WARNING,don't drive it without the cable.The computer has nothing to do with an AOD,only on AOD-E's.It's very critical to get the cable adjusted properly after you get it installed,I would recomend taking it to a trans shop and letting them adjust it.Most of the people that I've seen trying to rig up a cable get real mad because they can't get it to shift right when they're done,that's why I would recomend getting all the brackets and arms off a junkyard car.Let me know how it turns out.</P>
Old 06-23-2003, 01:30 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

OK thanks ,I'm glad someone answered because we are going to have it ready to drive by this friday. I can probably get the stuff easy. I hope this isn't a stupid question but the carb says it has a ford a/t kickdown something or another. Does that have anything to do with what you are talking about?
Old 06-23-2003, 02:29 PM
nostang
2nd Gear Member

Nope,the kick down is for c-4's and c-6's,the kick down is on top of the throttle lever,you need the trans cable(also called the tv cable)to hook on to the bottom of the throttle lever,hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:17 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Ok I was making sure. The guy at the auto parts store said Lokar makes a kit for this. I'll go talk to him about it after work. I think I might look into getting a C-4 anyways. The guy I bought the motor from had another nice motor and a C-4 for sale. maybe I'll give him a call since AOD's have a bad rep anyway , and all the B&amp;m shifters I have seen that I like either won't work with an AOD or require a kit. Whats your opinion on C-4 trannys? Alot of people I have talked to seem to like them more compaired to the AOD
Old 06-23-2003, 03:29 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Well i just went to Lokar's webpage trying to find the kit , and while checking to see how to cantact them I noticed that they are like a 15 minute drive away in my city hahaha.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:58 PM
nostang
2nd Gear Member

a properly built aod should be about as strong as a built c-4,lentec is putting 900hp through aod-e's,and they are mostly the same inside.If I had a built small block,I would put in an aod and a 3500 stall converter and some low gears and have my cake and eat it too,good accell on launch and comfortable cruise rpm.