5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Setting Base Idle Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 10:14 PM
77highboy

Default Setting Base Idle Question

I read the post on fixing the surging idle problem, did what it said, and it worked. However, when I was trying to set the base idle, the post said to unplug the IAC and set it to where you want it to idle at. Well, when I unplug the IAC the car won't idle no matter how much I adjust it. I was just wondering what would make it do this since it runs fine and idles steady at about 800 rpm with the IAC plugged in. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:45 PM
88_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Setting Base Idle Question

The car won't stay running or idle with it unplugged. You can adjust it without it unplugged.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:00 AM
JeffUtica
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 77highboy

I read the post on fixing the surging idle problem, did what it said, and it worked. However, when I was trying to set the base idle, the post said to unplug the IAC and set it to where you want it to idle at. Well, when I unplug the IAC the car won't idle no matter how much I adjust it. I was just wondering what would make it do this since it runs fine and idles steady at about 800 rpm with the IAC plugged in. Thanks for the help.

Interesting. Never heard to unplug IAC. Don't undertstand why either since the IAC has nothing to do with with base timing. Maybe someone can explain it to me. Base timing is the relationship between spark and piston TDC. You do have to unplug the spout connector. There are ways to adjusting timing with rough(lopey) idle especially with higher lift or low LSA cams.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:04 AM
77highboy

ORIGINAL: JeffUtica

Interesting. Never heard to unplug IAC. Don't undertstand why either since the IAC has nothing to do with with base timing. Maybe someone can explain it to me. Base timing is the relationship between spark and piston TDC. You do have to unplug the spout connector. There are ways to adjusting timing with rough(lopey) idle especially with higher lift or low LSA cams.
I was talking about the base idle, not base timing. Althought I would like to check the timing, but I can't make out any of the timing marks and it runs good enough that I don't want to take the time to clean the balancer.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:29 AM
JeffUtica
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JeffUtica

I was talking about the base idle, not base timing. Althought I would like to check the timing, but I can't make out any of the timing marks and it runs good enough that I don't want to take the time to clean the balancer.

Oops, my bad. Tired. Been a long day. Just got finished installing full length subframes, welding torque boxes, installing South Side bars, and GT-40 intake on a friends car.