5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what MAF and TB should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 09:46 PM
RedFox88

Default what MAF and TB should i get?

my 88 has a b-303 and the 19lb injectors
i'm curious as to which MAF and TB would be the best combo for the car, i dont want anything extrem just a little upgrade
also do you know of a good cold K-N kit. as you can prolly tell i dont ahve much experience but i'm trying to learn
thanks for the help
Old 06-20-2004, 09:59 PM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: what MAF and TB should i get?

any good fenderwell intake wood work mac makes good intakes and so does bbk but r u sure ur car comes with mass air because the 87 and 88 were the ones with out them but unless u got one with the conversion in it and u want to go basic then u shood get a 70mm maf thats calibrated for ur injectors but if i were u i wood spend the extra money and get the 24# injectors with the maf calibrated for it and a 65mm throttle body wood work good with that combo, if u want a little more go with the 75mm maf with the 24# injectors and the 70mm tb thats shood be a good amount of added hp for you its worth the extra money
Old 06-20-2004, 10:25 PM
RedFox88

ya see thats what i've been trying to figure out since last december when i got the car, it definatly has mass air, because 88 was the first year that mustangs got Mass air, but only in california. now come the interesting part. my car was bought and has remained on the east coast, according to a carfax report. it was bought in virginia with 57 miles on it, then was later sold to the guy i bought from (in MD) when it had a litte ove 157,000 miles on it, then i bought it last december with about 172,000 miles on it, after a rebuild. but the thing is it has t-tops, yes its an 88 with t-tops, they only produced them for a short time in 88 (like 2-3 months) then discontinued production. I heard that verts, and t-toppers were sent out to company to have their customization done second party, this is only what i heard so dont take it as fact. so i was thinking that, the company that did the customization was located somewere near califonia and would require the MAF. i had my roomate check out the MAF and he says that there wasnt any splicing done to the whieing harness, which he says means that the MAF cam on the car, and not added when they did the re-build, and not put in if it is an aftermarket computer.
again i am very inexperienced with cars, so dont take this as fact i amonly going by what i heard. also can anyone give me a number of how many 88 t-top gt's were made? i would like to know if it is a rare car.
thanks for bearing with me i know i probally sound like a rambling fool and i appoligize
Old 06-21-2004, 08:21 AM
RedFox88

also could someone tell me a good company to buy these parts from?
Old 06-21-2004, 04:51 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

From what you say, it looks like someone put a Ford mass air conversion kit on it sometime in it's life. This system plugs right in to the existing wiring harness so it won't have any splices in it and it comes with a new ECU also. They probably did it so they could make future cam changes, etc. that the stock speed density system couldn't handle. There are lots of places to get Mustang parts, but some I have used are www.summitracing.com and www.holcombmotorsports.com. Holcomb specializes in Ford and Mustangs in particular and they have very competive prices compared to other places I checked. As far as the throttle body goes, you probably don't need anything bigger than 70 mm unless you are going to change the cam and heads.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:59 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

RM..is right on here...I would leave the 19's in there until you make a head change...a 65mm and a 76mm maf would be good..PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS make a nice T/B and spacer that is cheap and come fully polished as I have used them and are of good quailty...the maf I would buy a used one off ebay I have had good success with c & l and going to a bigger 76mm won't hurt anything and can be used when you upgrade again
Old 06-21-2004, 07:51 PM
1hot88drop50
2nd Gear Member

Red, u are correct about the 88 Cali edition coming stock w/ mass air. It is hard to find an 88 t-top 4 sure because I have been trying to look for one for quite some time. 87 was the last production year for the t-top but like u said there were a few 88's that came with them. your car is deff sought after by people, but the word rare would be used loosely. my advise is sell it to me!

[IMG]local://upfiles/5550/Zx706834394.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-21-2004, 09:50 PM
RedFox88

ok well i just called the guy that i bought my 88 GT from and he told me that he put an e-303 cam in it, not the b-303 as i previously said, so would there be any changes to your recommendations for a TB and MAf? oh and he also told me that its not a Califoria car, that he got a recked 89 and used its computer, wiring harness, TB, MAF and EGR plate. also he said that when he rebuilt the engine at around 170k (181k now) that he put on a new stock intake, and new stock ported heads.
i was told that its not worth buying a new MAF, until i upgrade the injectors. which would also mean that its not worth buying a new TB.
would it be worth putting new injectors on a car with a stock intake and heads? i already have a 255 litre per hour fuel pump so i wont have to upgrade that
i think thats all for now
Old 06-22-2004, 04:28 PM
1hot88drop50
2nd Gear Member

the larger MAF are calibrated for 24lb injectors.. your stock fuel delivery should be suffice to supply you until you get heads. then u will have to go to bigger injectors and MAF. an e-cam isnt radical enough to warrant larger injectors alone either. e cams are just a little bit hotter cam then stock but basicly mild. e cam work good for superchargers and for cams like mine stuck in smog hell aka California..
Old 06-22-2004, 05:17 PM
619socalstang
3rd Gear Member

you can buy a MAF that can be recalibrated to work with larger injectors later.

Quick Reply: what MAF and TB should i get?