5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tranny Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 11:49 PM
5Liter Import Eater
2nd Gear Member

Default Tranny Problem

ok i went to a transmission shop near me to try to figure out whats wrong with my tranny... cus after about 30 min of driving, it gets hard to shift and they said it was the clutch, but i cant see it being the clutch since it was new last year and it still grabs good and right away and it only happens after i drive a while... so now im even more confused cus i dont wanna buy a new clutch and taht not be the problem. he looked at my car for about 5 min and just felt the clutch and where it grabbed and he said it shouldnt be that hard to push down or grab that soon... i told him it was a performance clutch and its a cable so its gonna be hard and its just as hard as the stock one i had on there... so i dont know how well he knows what he's talking about.

Any help greatly appreciated
Old 08-21-2006, 11:51 PM
TMeyer29
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Tranny Problem

try going to a different shop and see what they say about it...maybe he just wants your money
Old 08-21-2006, 11:59 PM
5Liter Import Eater
2nd Gear Member

yea thats what im gonna do...
Old 08-22-2006, 12:04 AM
bossco302
I ♥ Acer

what do u mean hard to shift? does it feel like your forcing the stick thru a terd lol all i could think of.or does it feel like your grinding it into gear? orrr is the clutch hard to push in ?
Old 08-22-2006, 12:08 AM
sasieg

You might want to check the clutch cable, sometimes the plastic fitting on the end of the shrouding can pull out exposing the metal wires (this is on the transmission side). If this happens it will cause the clutch to disengage closer to the firewall. It usually keeps getting worse and not better, but it may be something to look into.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:11 AM
5Liter Import Eater
2nd Gear Member

its just hard to get into gear, but its not grinding... and the clutch isnt any harder to push down than before. when i took it to the shop today, the guy adjusted the plastic piece a couple notches and thats when he said it was the clutch... is that the plasitc piece you're talking about?
Old 08-22-2006, 12:13 AM
bossco302
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: sasieg

You might want to check the clutch cable, sometimes the plastic fitting on the end of the shrouding can pull out exposing the metal wires (this is on the transmission side). If this happens it will cause the clutch to disengage closer to the firewall. It usually keeps getting worse and not better, but it may be something to look into.
darn got to it before i could lol this just happend to me about two weeks ago.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:14 AM
bossco302
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 5Liter Import Eater

its just hard to get into gear, but its not grinding... and the clutch isnt any harder to push down than before. when i took it to the shop today, the guy adjusted the plastic piece a couple notches and thats when he said it was the clutch... is that the plasitc piece you're talking about?
is this plastic piece your talking about at the fire wall???
Old 08-22-2006, 12:19 AM
sasieg

No its where the shroud meets the transmission. The picture attached is what i saw when it happened to me, those metal wires arent supposed to be sticking out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/46736/DD06102715424BF58C003F45FEC1066D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-22-2006, 12:25 AM
bossco302
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 5Liter Import Eater

one more time ....where is this piece u say the guy adjusted the plastic piece a couple notches at???

Quick Reply: Tranny Problem