5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stronger blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:18 AM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

Default Stronger blocks?

Where could i find a stronger block than the stock block?

also what is a sportsman block, ive heard of that a few times.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:23 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Stronger blocks?

Its an aftermarket Block and theyre usually 4 bolt blocks and everything in the block is thicker. All the main webbing is beefed up, the cylinder walls are thicker, the deck thickness is increased, everything is.

Then theyre Dart and a few others that make aftermarket blocks.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:28 AM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

When people mention the Sportsman, they usually mean the Ford Sportsman. It's the next upgrade from stock. Ford has lowered the rating to 450hp though. They are stronger, but I don't think they are built any better where it counts. They still seem to split right down the lifter valley at the same power levels as stock blocks.

There is also a Dart Sportsman though. But when most people talk about Dart, they usually mean the race block. The Dart Sportsman is ~$2k and the race block a few hundered dollars more.

They Dart Sportsman is 4 bolt in the 3 center main caps and 2 bolt front and rear. The Dart race block is 4 bolt on all. The Ford Sportsman is 2 bolt on all.

World Products also makes blocks very similiar to Dart. Their Man-O-War is a little different though.

adperformance.com is the best place to shop for Dart or World blocks.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:33 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FullAuto

When people mention the Sportsman, they usually mean the Ford Sportsman. It's the next upgrade from stock. Ford has lowered the rating to 450hp though. They are stronger, but I don't think they are built any better where it counts. They still seem to split right down the lifter valley at the same power levels as stock blocks.

There is also a Dart Sportsman though. But when most people talk about Dart, they usually mean the race block. The Dart Sportsman is ~$2k and the race block a few hundered dollars more.

They Dart Sportsman is 4 bolt in the 3 center main caps and 2 bolt front and rear. The Dart race block is 4 bolt on all. The Ford Sportsman is 2 bolt on all.

World Products also makes blocks very similiar to Dart. Their Man-O-War is a little different though.

adperformance.com is the best place to shop for Dart or World blocks.

I think the Dart and Man-o-war blocks are rated at 1,500hp if im not mistaken, if im wrong correct me.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:50 AM
MattB

Actually I read up on the World website and they rated they're blocks at 2000 bhp.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:02 AM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

It was my understanding the Dart race block is rated to 2000hp and the Sportsman is rated to 1200hp. It is also generally accepted those are conservative ratings as many people have well exceeded those limits.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:29 AM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

http://www.adperformance.com/index.p...roducts_id=189

So would that block be a good choice? (I plan on strokin it to 347)

or should i just go with a 351 block for the equal price.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:36 AM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

How much power are you looking to make? N/A, boost?
Old 08-23-2006, 03:37 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

I mean if i was spending all that money on a block and i wasnt limited cubic inch wise by a special racing class, i would go with a 351. You'll be much happier in the long run.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:58 AM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

i just bought a complete dart shortblock from adperformance. customer service was decent, it took them a bit longer than originally quoted to actually get the engine out to me, but ive found that getting the run around for about a month is fairly standard with most parts dealers.

Quick Reply: Stronger blocks?