5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

converter,shift kit,cooler and alum d/s are in

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:27 PM
isthatfuny
2nd Gear Member

Default converter,shift kit,cooler and alum d/s are in

just got home , dropped the car off late last night and got a call around 10:30 this morning saying the car is done...so went up to the shop(50miles from my house) and picked it up. gotta say i was very lucky that my friend tols me about the shop it's his step dads. they pulled the trans out, changed the rear main seal ( i didnt even ask him to but he saw it starting to leak and he figured i didnt know) so thats done, he installed the new frp 2200 stall converter and his trans guy did the shift kit on the bench , while that was being done he checked my rear, it had been over filled due to the aluminum girdle the previous a owner had installed and they filled the rear thru a top bolt on the cover instead of the front of rear, but the rear checked out ,he said it was done right..after that they cut the trans lines flaired them and installed my hayden race trans cooler 15" by 10" and blocked of the lines in the radiator...then they reinstalled the trans, and installed my new frp aluminum d/s. filled the trans test drove it adjusted everything and it was done. all for the price of 300.00 and that includes the fluids...all the parts except for rear seal i brought to him, not to bad.... now the trans shifts pretty good doesnt rev out in when in od shifts kinda fast, in d it shifts alittle later , but what he did tell me is that the shifter in the car is wrong its from the 4 cyl, so when i put the trans in 2 it;s really L and then when i shift it into D i need to bring it right back into 2 to hold 2nd..when i do that it the car def moves , when it hits 2nd it hits pretty hard i like it, not blown away but i like it, plus i didnt pay alot of $ for the work, as for the converter it not bad i can pretty much preload the car to about 1800 rpm before the tires let loose and off the line the it takes off much hard if i just stomp it from a idle..i like it but still considering 5 spd, alli got to do now is check opver the motor , it's not burning oil or smoking but the car seems to be to slow for what it is.. kinda like its a good running non ho motor, make sense? my bro checked the timing and its at 14 degrees, tomm i gotta check the plugs and cap,and tps ..somethings off here...my 86 with just exhaust and 5sp with 308 would destroy this car, not even close and this thing has k 7n , 2.5 mac h pipe with high flow cats, 2.5 flowmasters, 4:10, no a/c..i just dont get it and my 86 burned a quart a week and had 162000 miles ..it was like a crop duster on the highway once u hit 4th but it pulled the a frieght train.. who knows might be better off with a older motor mines a 94..
Old 08-24-2006, 10:39 PM
black89gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: converter,shift kit,cooler and alum d/s are in

niceee and congrats on the new mods.. i have my own shop so i can do anythign for free =) its a transmission shop . my dad owns it. mwuahah =)
Old 08-24-2006, 10:54 PM
ttoppedaerocoupe
2nd Gear Member

sounds awesome, every once in a while, i wish i had an auto...

juuuuuuust kidding.

alex
Old 08-24-2006, 11:01 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Autos do suck (I've got two auto mustangs, two auto trucks and an auto explorer) but they've got their strong points, and when they're built right, they haul ***.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:32 PM
rsw007
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

Autos do suck (I've got two auto mustangs, two auto trucks and an auto explorer) but they've got their strong points, and when they're built right, they haul ***.
when preped right they are fun
Old 08-24-2006, 11:39 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Hell yeah they are, that's why I got AOD's instead of T5s.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:41 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

oops...
Old 08-24-2006, 11:46 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

same amount of money u sould spend to beef up a stock 5 speed u could do the same to an auto

IMO its a useless debate, all preference.

anyway i recently learned to drive stick and I must admit, when driving my stang at times i wish it was a 5 or even a 6 speed but im glad its an auto. a couple hundred bucks and you can really beef it up and have fun.

anyway enjoy the new gear [8D]
Old 08-25-2006, 01:13 AM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

plz ill take a good beefed up aod over a t5 anyday..auto are cmore consistant...i have less then 8% slippage...and lose less hp to wheels now ...t5 are good up to a point...i hada cpl... if ya never had a true hipo aod then you will never understand....or even a c4-c6...i hada 408 stroker ripped the t5 in a week...a beefed up aod is still in mine after 3 motor swaps...
Old 08-25-2006, 01:16 AM
sqrlnts
1st Gear Member

You got a deal for $300.

Quick Reply: converter,shift kit,cooler and alum d/s are in