5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine Oil Leak! please help desperate

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:35 AM
savegoodautonfg1

Default Engine Oil Leak! please help desperate

I started a thread about this maybe 2 weeks ago. i'm creating a new one because i have new stuff about it. i have figured out that the reason the crossmember had oil on it was because of blowby from when i drive. now, oil is leaking from the engine shield. the engine shield seems wet from oil and the little lip on the engine shield has drips. last night me and my mechanic replaced upper, lower intake gaskets along with valve cover gaskets. we noticed when we took off the upper you could see alot of oil on the back of the block so that means it was dripping down and going onto engine shield which makes sense. the other mechanic who did my engine is a scumbag bc he screwed up bad thats why i had to replace the gaskets. well, we replaced them last night and today i went under my car and cleaned the whole tranny and crossmember from the blowby from the engine oil leak and cleaned the engine shield and it was all clean. i took it for a ride for like 10 minutes and the next thing i know i look udner my car to see if it is leaking and of course you see one drop on the ground and there are two drops on the engine shield that did'nt come off to hit the ground yet and you can feel that the engine shield is wet. i don't know if its left-over or what? what does everyone think and what else could be leaking. that had to be the problem or part of the problem. we saw all the oil when we took the intake off so i know that has to do with it but they are all replaced now. so what does everyone think?
Old 08-25-2006, 03:27 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Oil Leak! please help desperate

Probably some left over, i had a leak and it took about a week for it to all drop off.

Also, check ur PCV valve, where it plugs into the rear of the lower intake, its a tube, im sure you know what it is, but they'll leak sometimes.

Is oil blown all over the firewall behind the intake? Thats a good sign of a PCV thats coming in and out.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:32 AM
savegoodautonfg1

Well we removed the lower intake and you can see all the oil just chillin there. there was a puddle. i mean it was a good amount we dried as much as we could up but you think it might still be left-over. i hope your right about that. that would be awesome. my PCV valve is fine mechanic checked everything. hes been a ford mechanic for 8 years.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:37 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Oh, well its most likely just left over, i mean im sure some ran down in there and probably a little maybe even got into the bell housing (it is oil afterall) So im thinking thats where its coming from, if i were you, id put a small piece of card board under the car every night and keep track of how much is dripping. I mean one or two drips a night is nothing, thats probably left over, but if its like a small puddle or something, thats a leak.

Keep and eye on your oil to, just for good practice.

But the cardboard thing is a good idea.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:42 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

seems a little like mine, Rear Main Seal was the culprit for me thoguh
Old 08-25-2006, 04:07 AM
savegoodautonfg1

Yea thanks alot man for the idea. also 86 5.0l, i'm trying to hope that that is'nt the problem. not fun to replace.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:36 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: savegoodautonfg1
also 86 5.0l, i'm trying to hope that that is'nt the problem. not fun to replace.
I hope its not either, man I had a PITA time with that......[:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 08-25-2006, 10:23 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

yea i had the same problem when we rebuilt mine, used ****ty gaskets and the lower intake leaked oil all over the place, had to replace with new gaskets and kept cleaning under there after every drive for about a week or two until she stopped running off. Rear main is known to go but i'd see if this one seals good before chasing the rear main....Good Luck man!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:24 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

forgot to say that you could dye the oil and run the car for a few miles and come back to the shop and use a UV light and you'll see where the dye is leaking from.... then you'll know for sure.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:38 PM
savegoodautonfg1

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

yea i had the same problem when we rebuilt mine, used ****ty gaskets and the lower intake leaked oil all over the place, had to replace with new gaskets and kept cleaning under there after every drive for about a week or two until she stopped running off. Rear main is known to go but i'd see if this one seals good before chasing the rear main....Good Luck man!
Oh yea, i'm hoping to god thats the problem. it took about a week or two until it stopped running down. and also your saying that your rear main seal was fine right?

Also, did it leak down like where im describing?

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Leak! please help desperate