5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

B&M Ratchet shifter hookup

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 02:22 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Default B&M Ratchet shifter hookup

I just got a '92 Mustang with a 5.0 and AOD and it came with a B&M ratchet shifter installed.
The shifter works fine but the previous owner didnt hook up the gear indicator light. I tried hooking it up like the instructions said to but cant get the light to go on with the ignition on.

It says to hook the positive wire to an ignition on power source like the radio so I hooked it up to the ignition feed to the radio (yellow wire). I ran a wire right to the battery for the ground (just to test the light- Ill ground it right later). I cant get the light to turn on.

I had the light turn on by connecting it right to the battery (to make sure it lit up) and it worked earlier but wont work now.

What is the problem here?

I need to fix this ASAP because I have no idea what gear the car is in while driving.

My mulitimeter must need a new fuse because it reads OL even across the battery terminals.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:46 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: B&M Ratchet shifter hookup

I'd try hooking to the 'hot' side of the starter relay. Make sure you got a good ground with the paint scraped off.....
Old 08-27-2006, 05:41 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

I have the B*M Hammer ratchet shifter... Chances are you have a bad ground. Don't go straight to the battery. keep it short. Since the shifter bolts straight into the car itself, you should be able to just ground it to that... as stated above just make sure to scrape away the paint and get a clean contact. As for the positive, I run mine to the "blue" wire that runs to my amp for my subs...but you can run it to any source that comes on when the ignition is turned on. Just make sure it's not to something that is constantly hot like the horn, etc.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:01 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

I fixed it. The led bulb must have shorted out. I grounded the light to the shifter base and replaced the led and it works fine.
I ran the power to the ignition feed from the stereo (which I need to replace because tape decks suck).
Old 08-27-2006, 08:10 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

How do you like the ratchet shifter??? Do you have a manual VB? I want one but it's not on my priority list right now, maybe it would be if it were cheaper lol.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:20 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

I actually just got the car last night and havent driven it more than around the neighborhood. I just left it in drive when driving it because I really didnt know what gear it was in.
I also dont have plates, registration or insurance on it yet. Hopefully Tuesday.

I have a stock valvebody as far as I know (definately not manual).

BTW, my car looks identical to yours (not under the hood though and Ive got rust).

Ebay pic will have to do because its dark and rainy here:
http://i6.ebayimg.com/05/i/08/12/34/87_1.JPG
Old 08-27-2006, 08:28 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Awesome man, good luck with it, and if you ever get tired of that ratchet shifter, you can send it my way .
Old 08-27-2006, 08:37 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Thanks.
Im going to keep it for now. I do have the stock one just incase I need it although I doubt I will.

I want to put it on the road ASAP but the soonest chance Ill get is Tuesday.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:22 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

How do you like the ratchet shifter??? Do you have a manual VB? I want one but it's not on my priority list right now, maybe it would be if it were cheaper lol.
I don't have the manual valve body with my ratchet shifter.. but I have an AODE so I can go 1-2-D instead of having to worry about 1-D-1, etc. And for OD I simply turn it off with a button. Overall I think it's a great addition, even without a manual valve body. It goes great with my shift kit.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:20 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

A shift kit is something else I want to do. I also want 4.10 gears.

Quick Reply: B&M Ratchet shifter hookup