5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I am having problems with my electric fan controler...NEED HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:28 PM
gentlejax2
1st Gear Member

Default I am having problems with my electric fan controler...NEED HELP PLEASE!!

I usually shy away from messing with the electrical stuff unless its a stereo install or something...but I decided to hook my fan up to the FAL fan controler I got last week..

I got it all hooked it up and it appeared everything was fine. All the little lights lighted up like they were supposed to and the fan come on and then off and cycled back and forth for a good 15 minutes...It looked fine...turned AC on and everything looked good..

welll I suddenly noticed the AC suddenly got a little warmer and the temps started to rise some and I no longer heard the fan kick on /off...

I checked the in-line fuse to the + power source for the controler that is active when the ignition switch is one and it was blown.....

I replaced it with the only thing I had and it was smaller so as soon as I turned on the AC I heard the fuse pop....

I have everything hooked up I thought correctly and it was working fine for like 15 minutes....

not sure what I have wrong here but now I need more fuses and I dont have any so I got to limp to work and get some.

I have the controller wired in to the 30 amp fuse and the inside fuse box via a inline jumper.....

dont know what is wrong...need help

oh yeah..I am using a Taurus fan and this is in a 94 Cobra
Old 08-27-2006, 08:49 PM
gentlejax2
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I am having problems with my electric fan controler...NEED HELP PLEASE!!

went outside and hooked a paperclip in the fuseable link and when I turned the fans to full blast it hot red hot so I yanked it out...

obviously I dont know what is causeing this so please help so I dont burn the car up...
Old 08-27-2006, 09:03 PM
leadfootdriver
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I am having problems with my electric fan controler...NEED HELP PLEASE!!

It's drawing to much power from where you have it hooked up. It needs to be wired to a more capable source. I have my fan relays hooked to the starter solenoid, which is right off' the battery. Give your fan switch it's own inline fuse. You can see the 2 inline fuses and my 2 fan relays in this pick. My fan has 2 speeds, so I gave it 2 relays; 1 for each speed so I don't fry anything. Fan motors draw a lot of current as you could tell by the red hot paper clip.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:41 PM
gentlejax2
1st Gear Member

The power source for the fan controler has its own inline fuse...the wire is hooked up to the 25 amp fuse for the radio which only is active when the ignition is on.

the controller is also hooked up directly to the battery + & - post as directed in the instructions...

I am not supposed to need a relay but what do I know...

Should I hook this up to the one of the HIGH CURRENT fuses under the hood? or a bigger fuse in the inline holder......?
Old 09-02-2006, 03:53 AM
gentlejax2
1st Gear Member

still working on this problem...taurus fan is great but does me no good if I cant use it....

I must be just electrically challenged cause I still get cant it right after working on it for many hours again today and that was w/ a new fan controller...

It is currently hooked up to the crm again temporarily. I ordered a factory OEM fan that was made for the car so I can get this over with since I am not having luck with this crap.

I want to drive the car again...
Old 09-02-2006, 04:30 AM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

do you have your fan wired to your clutch on your a/c?
Old 09-02-2006, 11:21 AM
gentlejax2
1st Gear Member

yep, fan is wired to A/C...not sure it was right..when I had it wired to the Flexalite controller, the controler indicated it was functioning correclty off the A/C clutch....

I am 90% certain I am wiring something wrong at the relay or my 12volt iginition souce signal is wrong......

when my other fan arrives then I may have it run off the stock computer and leave it at that. it is like that now but the fan is too strong for that and I know its not good...