5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Seats and Cages

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:27 AM
Dath
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Seats and Cages

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: Dath

Most the drag strips in my area require 6-point cage and 5-point belts.
NHRA requires a 6 point roll bar at 11.99 for older cars and 11.49 for newer. IHRA is 11.49
NHRA requires the belt and a transmission safety blanket or approved bellhousing for those same times also.

If he plans on doing some moding and likes to race legally, this stuff will be needed. More safe...less safe, I couldn't care less. All I know is its required for me to have fun at the tracks.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:37 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

well the way i look at it, have a cage and try to keep the passenger compartment intact, cause if your head doesnt smack the cage, its going to hit whatever else in the car thats there to hit or the hood of the car thats t-boning you, so what the hell. Its better than the stock 5.0's body structur And with thick *** pading all over it around your head, thats going to cusion an impact some what. And if you put harnesses in your car, leave the stock belts. Makes it a little better when your just running to the corner store.

Summit seats are pretty good, cheap to.

But my favorites are the Kirkey aluminum seats. They're a little extremem for a daily driver, but they're really nice.

A little exspensive to. [:@]
Old 08-28-2006, 07:30 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98GTConvt

add the cage. it is for one safer and 2 cool
Nothing is more uncool than slow car with a cage.
+1

Yeah is was quite embarassing to go to the track with a full 10 point cage (she had a 408 with a turbo, I bought the rolling chassis)...and only run a 14.5 on the motor. Then the nitrous she ran a 13.8.....so I said screw it.....supercharger time. I don't know what she will run now....but I am looking for a 12.9. That won't make me feel such like a poser!!!!!

And I daily drive my car....with the cage! It is a pain in the ***....to step over it and then buckle the 5 point harnesses!!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 11:48 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

With times like yours you might want to rethink your S/N and sig J/K
Old 08-29-2006, 03:01 AM
Dubs1
2nd Gear Member

Im getting a cage only casue my car is a vert and it looks cool! And my motor is stock. Who cares what anyone else thinks, if you like it..you like it..make it happen!
Old 08-29-2006, 11:07 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Dubs1

Im getting a cage only casue my car is a vert and it looks cool! And my motor is stock. Who cares what anyone else thinks, if you like it..you like it..make it happen!
There is differance between opion and fact, and what I stated is fact.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:55 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

With times like yours you might want to rethink your S/N and sig J/K

That was pre-supercharger.........a 12.5 will out run a SS anyday of the week...........

Oh and here is my cage..........

[IMG]local://upfiles/38374/D0C94235054D4DA9B72B405FF2ED397B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38374/E45B572A44E44D30A82E27B44F568761.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-29-2006, 10:01 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

I dont see how saying a roll cage in a street car is more dangerous than without one is a fact. Especially in a vert, anything is better than just the windshield as protection. Sure for it to be effective you need a harness. Now what is uncool is thinking that you are safer in a street car without a cage!!! Think about it for a split second. A stock car has a cage and 5 point harnesses and those guys get out of crashes at 200mph. Im not saying go to the grocery store in a fire suit and a helmet, but when your running the speeds of a street car a harness and cage is more than enough.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:16 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nick_thames

I dont see how saying a roll cage in a street car is more dangerous than without one is a fact. Especially in a vert, anything is better than just the windshield as protection. Sure for it to be effective you need a harness. Now what is uncool is thinking that you are safer in a street car without a cage!!! Think about it for a split second. A stock car has a cage and 5 point harnesses and those guys get out of crashes at 200mph. Im not saying go to the grocery store in a fire suit and a helmet, but when your running the speeds of a street car a harness and cage is more than enough.

The way i look at it...if your head doesnt bounce off of the cage...its going to just hit something else. And 5.0's are horrible in side impacts, as many cars are. I would rather have a concusion and be on bed rest at home with bruises than be in the hospital with broken ribs and a collapsed lung because the car that T boned me completely collapsed the door and impacted into my mid-section.

Ive read and heard many times about people loosing it in a street car at normal speeds and hitting light poles or tree's, etc and thanking god for having a cage. I actually red in a mag one time about a guy who ran his 10.5 Mustang into a pole at about 50mph, he said a 10 point cage, he said if it wasnt for the cage...it coulda been a whole lot worse because the cage kept the engine out of the drivers seat. Thats proof enough for me....and a vert...i would put one in it no matter what. Roll overs are deadly.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:16 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

I agree with JD.........when I get into my vert with a cage it is a pain in the ***. The stock seat belts are gone...so I have the G-Force Cam-Lock 5 points that I have to tend with. I cannot synch myself in the car.....because then I cannot get to the radio and sometimes 5th gear to too far away for my short arms. So I loosen the belts alittle. And even then it sucks...because they tear into my neck....and get uncomfortable on a 15+ minute drive. And you also have the dreaded which roll-cage bar am I going to hit my dome on. I have all mine padded to NHRA specs for the driver side........but my passenger doesn't.

Unless you are going faster then 13.99 because then you have to have a cage in a vert......if not....dont waste your time.......

I got the cage with the car.....

Quick Reply: Seats and Cages