5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rear Coil Spring Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:25 PM
pcm2a

Default RE: Rear Coil Spring Installation

I lowered the car as close to the ground as I could get it. The lower arm went low to the ground as well, but so did the rest of the car. The spring might have had less tension on it, but nowhere near to the point of getting it out of the car.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:02 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

sorry to hijack but wat do the quads do? are they necessary?

im upgrading my suspension soon and i want to know wat the best setup would be (for the money)
Old 08-29-2006, 10:30 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pcm2a

I lowered the car as close to the ground as I could get it. The lower arm went low to the ground as well, but so did the rest of the car. The spring might have had less tension on it, but nowhere near to the point of getting it out of the car.
You have to keep a jack stand under the frame.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:41 PM
pcm2a

Slowly but surely I'm figuring this out. I'm done trying for the evening but will pick back up tomorrow. It's a fun learning experience!

My question is do I need to put both sides of the car on jack stands and take off both lower shock bolts at the same time, with a jack under the rear axle? Then lower the axel down to get the spring out?

Earlier I had no jack under the axel or control arm. I had a jack holding the car up and was lowering it to the ground, a total of one jack in use. This obviously was incorrect.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:02 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I'd use 2 jack stands just so the whole backend is in the air. I never unbolted the shocks. I just stuck a jack under the lower control arm right under where it bolts into the rear end and took the bolt out and lowered the control arm slowly till the spring was completely decompressed.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:05 AM
pcm2a

The control arm method seems like the best method for sure, but I couldnt get the control arm bolt out. My impact wrench wouldnt fit into the area and I tried a wrench and a hammer but it was a no go. I havnt tried on the other side yet. The shock bolt however did come out.

Any ideas how to get a control arm bolt to losen up?
Old 08-30-2006, 12:08 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

A real long rachet or a breaker bar will break it loose. An impact will work if you have swivel sockets and a impact half inch drive extension but its really not worth buying them if your not going to use them much.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:10 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

Nah dude, just jack the rear corner up, drop the tire, put a jack under the axle to load the spring, unbolt the shock, drop the jack and its out. Forget the C arm. Its too hard to get that bolt off the shock is accessible from the side so you dont have to go under.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:25 PM
pcm2a

Will I need to unbolt the quad shock too?

I have been jacking the car up a little bit infront on the rear tire. Are you saying to jack in up inbehind the rear tire? I'll go home for lunch and scope out possible locations.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:47 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

The way I did it and it was real easy, was by taking out the control arm bolt. Just jack the car up by the differential, put two jack stands on both sides of the axle. Remove the rear sway bar if you have one. Take your jack and jack it up under the lower control arm. Then remove the bolt(which shouldn't be to hard) and slowly let the jack down until the control arm has come down almost to the ground. Then pull the spring out and place the new one. Jack the rear control arm back up and put the bolt back in and torque it. Now your done with one side. Do the other. I had never done this before and the whole thing took me an 1.5 hours with a buddy. Look at this link. http://www.stangnet.com/tech/spring.html

Quick Reply: Rear Coil Spring Installation