5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Question for those with Transgo Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 11:16 AM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Question for those with Transgo Shift Kit

Hey, I have a transgo shift kit and it is freakin' awesome. I can chirp 2nd now-also have 3.73's. My question is, on the track, I cannot chirp 2nd and for some reason it bogs down when shifting, instead of being a nice firm shift. Does this have to do with Im actually hooking up at the track and I dont have enough power to get a firm shift? I can chirp 2nd most of the time, but sometimes it will do its coasting into the gear thing.... Im just wondering if my shift kit sux or if its the pavement. I honestly have no idea. oh, 95 GT vert
Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Question for those with Transgo Shift Kit

yup the track is way stickier than the street and you're actually hooking instead of spinning. I would reccomend a bigger torque converter though, that will help a lot. BTW what kind of times are you running?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:30 AM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

well, my times are **** man. 15.5 is the best I can do, well so far anyway. But according to AFR, a stock 95 auto coupe runs 16.01, so I must have better myself at least a half second... never ran at the track before gears/shift kit. My reaction time wasnt better than .375, my car is basically bone stock except for CAI, 3.73's, shift kit. I wanted to see what my car would run before all the winter time mods that will be done- not sure exactly what that consists of yet...

Old 08-29-2006, 11:58 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Did you install this kit yourself?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:03 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

no, I had the local tranny place here install my gears and shift kit at the same time. It definately woke the car up and love it. Just need more power now!!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:13 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

blower man!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:21 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ToplessGT

Hey, I have a transgo shift kit and it is freakin' awesome. I can chirp 2nd now-also have 3.73's. My question is, on the track, I cannot chirp 2nd and for some reason it bogs down when shifting, instead of being a nice firm shift. Does this have to do with Im actually hooking up at the track and I dont have enough power to get a firm shift? I can chirp 2nd most of the time, but sometimes it will do its coasting into the gear thing.... Im just wondering if my shift kit sux or if its the pavement. I honestly have no idea. oh, 95 GT vert
If you want a little more control over when it shifts, either manually go 1-2-D with your stock shifter, or do what I did and get a ratchet shifter. With the ratchet shifter you dont have to worry about skipping over a gear or anything. Coupled with the transgo shift kit, you can hold 1 and 2 as long as you want before shifting into D. And with the AODE that you have (as oppoosed to the AOD) you don't have to worry about the 1-D-1 shuffle.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:28 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

I do shift at the track manually 1-2-D and usually shift around 5000 or so. My first run I left it in D to see what the computer shifts at, it really wraps out, I like to shift a little sooner mainly because it seems to be just noise, no power. The ratchet shifter is something I was looking at, but need to invest in power adders first.

Samseed, you have flowmaster. how does it sound going down the road with the top down? pretty loud? Also, what did you do for headers? I have heard long tube is the way to go, but I guess they wont fit on our autos or something?
Old 08-29-2006, 12:30 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

No, there are companies that make LT's for auto's. I wouldnt recommend automatics if you dont have a decent amount of power because it will sacrafice your low end. Also, unless you want to scrape your exhaust on the ground everywhere you go I would just step away from LT's lol Trust me, I know from EXPERIENCE! lol
Old 08-29-2006, 12:36 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

It's actually not too bad. For my setup I have stock headers, offroad -pipe, and Flowmaster 40 catbacks. I think it sounds beautiful! Others say it sounds just right. Not too loud and not too quiet. With the top up it will actually sound lunder as it drones between 2500 and 3000 RPM. But that's a very small window and doesn't bother anyone at all... actually sounds nice! With the top down there are no problems at all.

I'll try to get a clip up sometime soon. Don't know if this will help you at all, but it at idle, it's right around 85 - 90Db about 3 feet from the center of the rear bumber and 2 - 3 feet off the ground.

Quick Reply: Question for those with Transgo Shift Kit