5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Was permanent damage caused

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:38 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Was permanent damage caused

your o2 senosrs would through a code, or car would not run right
Old 08-31-2006, 02:27 PM
sdmaker
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

I can't say for sure. But I was a bike mechanic for three years, and saw plenty of burnt exhaust valves and cylinders with low compression as a result of people swapping exhausts and intakes, and not rejetting their carbs. In these cases, the cylinders ran lean (lack of fuel), and were damaged. It all depends on how long and hard you ran it like that. Generally a simple compression test will rule out this type of damage though.

Thats true, but if his injector was not working at all, then there would be nothing to burn at all, so it would not be lean on that cylinder, it would just be a dead cylinder. ? is, was it working at all or not, lol. But yeah a compression test would tell the story.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:17 PM
jrxs_racer
2nd Gear Member

yea since there would be no fuel to that cylinder wouldnt it go lean, and burn up the piston, if i were you id take off the head and see if anything is really screwed up, id rather be safe than sorry, but thats just me, other guys may say different
Old 08-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sdmaker

ORIGINAL: Twisted

I can't say for sure. But I was a bike mechanic for three years, and saw plenty of burnt exhaust valves and cylinders with low compression as a result of people swapping exhausts and intakes, and not rejetting their carbs. In these cases, the cylinders ran lean (lack of fuel), and were damaged. It all depends on how long and hard you ran it like that. Generally a simple compression test will rule out this type of damage though.

Thats true, but if his injector was not working at all, then there would be nothing to burn at all, so it would not be lean on that cylinder, it would just be a dead cylinder. ? is, was it working at all or not, lol. But yeah a compression test would tell the story.
If the spark plug was still firing, the cylinder would be running terribly lean. That's what lean means--not enough fuel.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:59 PM
gr84u
3rd Gear Member

But if there is no fuel to burn it is not lean... Lean means a ratio of a/f, that would be undefined since there is no fuel a/0. Can't be lean with out fuel, just the lack of some would make it lean. That would be like saying my cigarette is rich if there is no flame (ignition), get my drift?
Old 08-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

I feel you. Your saying that if there is zero fuel, the only thing generating heat would be the tiny spark created by the spark plug? I can see your logic. I guess that would be true if there is ZERO fuel entering the cylinder.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:31 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Yeah you have a point, but I doubt the injector was doing absolutely nothing...It was probably spraying something in there. What are the odds that nothing was being injected into the cylinder, anyway? Pretty slim I would think.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:08 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FordMustangXBA

Yeah you have a point, but I doubt the injector was doing absolutely nothing...It was probably spraying something in there. What are the odds that nothing was being injected into the cylinder, anyway? Pretty slim I would think.
That's what I was thinking. But who knows?
Old 09-01-2006, 08:21 PM
thedude
1st Gear Member

You guys have provided some great info. To clarify the the injector wasn't working properly because the o ring holding it into the fuel rail crapped out. Fuel then sprayed everywhere. Maybe some when into the cylinder, but I doubt very much. I was only a mile from home so I stupidly drove it the rest of the way. I have it back together. Its not running the best, but I believe that is more of a fuel management issue than anything else (bbk fuel press. regulator sucks). Anyways, if fuel was not going into the cylinder, and there was just a spark, are you saying that I am probably ok?
Old 09-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

I believe that's correct. If there was NO fuel, then it probably didn't get too hot in there. I suspect that there was some fuel in there. But if you only drove it a mile, I wouldn't worry even a little bit. I was thinking you had been driving it that way for years.

Quick Reply: Was permanent damage caused