5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Nitrous guys look in here, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 07:50 PM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Nitrous guys look in here, need some advice

okay so i bought a kit for my car, a super power shot plate kit, 125shot. putting it on this weekend.

what i was wondering was what kind of plug should i run? i know you are suposed to run a colder plug, but what plug? and what gap size?
also i was told that you should take 2 degrees of timing out of the car, per 100hp. Since my car has a stock bottom end so its low compression and i have a really nice ignition already do i even need to take much timing out of it?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:11 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Nitrous guys look in here, need some advice

i would try pipes, boost and juice section..
Old 08-30-2006, 08:58 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Congrats. Depending on the plug you are running now you should go maybe one or two plugs colder than stock. As far as plug gap that is dependent on the plug you run and ignition system you are running. Also autolite standards seem to work well in Fords so I would go with them. And the timing deal its 2 degrees for every 50 hp to be safe.

Now this is what I am running stock replacement autolites at 0.035 gap and 12 degrees of timing with 125 shot. Good luck and I hope this is what you were looking for.

ORIGINAL: J 85 GT

okay so i bought a kit for my car, a super power shot plate kit, 125shot. putting it on this weekend.

what i was wondering was what kind of plug should i run? i know you are suposed to run a colder plug, but what plug? and what gap size?
also i was told that you should take 2 degrees of timing out of the car, per 100hp. Since my car has a stock bottom end so its low compression and i have a really nice ignition already do i even need to take much timing out of it?
Old 08-30-2006, 09:22 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: J 85 GT

My friends shop recommended 6° of timing to be taken out for a 125 shot... but you better make sure your running a good fuel mixture before you go and spray 125
Old 08-30-2006, 09:34 PM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

The timing rule is for the first time use to be safe. Once you make few runs you look at some things and make adjustments. And go from there you dont have to run it that way forever. Its all in tuning and setup as to what you can set timing to.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Synyster Racing
2nd Gear Member

I usually use Autolite 26's on motor and 24's on Nitrous gapped around 32- 36. whatever is best for your motor. You should retard your timing by 2 deg. for every 50 HP. You should tune your car at the track with each pass change your timing and see what is best for your motor...
Old 08-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Synyster Racing
2nd Gear Member

OH Yea, make sure to keep a good warm bottle. About 900- 1100 PSI.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:55 AM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

yeah i know about warming the bottle and i have a purge.

i have autolites on the car now, its at my dads and forgot what plug exactly i think its a 764? something like that (explorer heads)

ignition is crane hi-6 box, lx92 coil, msd pro billet, and fuel system is a 140gph pump adj regulator and a 650 quikfuel race carb so it will get plenty of fuel and spark.

track isnt an option at the moment as i dont have slicks, just a 26' drag radial and with the gear its gonna need a 28' tire if i wanna spray it for a full pass. so i'm gonna tune on the backroads out here making 3rd gear pulls basically.

and how would i determine what plug is colder and what not?
Old 08-31-2006, 01:13 AM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

autolite 764's are stock in those heads. use a 762 or 760. use the regular .89 cheapies and not the platinums. they dont hold up as well as the the standard copper cores under nitrous/ boost.

make a 3rd gear pass and listen to the engine. you want to pull the plugs and check them for any peppering (molten piston from detonation), it will look specs on the insulator. also make sure you dont burn the electrodes completly off. if the plug runs to hot this will happen. if you see peppering pull a few degrees timing out of it. only jiuce it at full throttle, never less.

if this is your first time with nitrous rember this. rember to shift. when you hit the button the engine will tach like you cant believe. if you hit it in second at 3200rpm be prepared cause that poor 302 will be doing 5500rpm by the time you blink.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:13 PM
Hung Like a Stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mrbigshot

autolite 764's are stock in those heads. use a 762 or 760. use the regular .89 cheapies and not the platinums. they dont hold up as well as the the standard copper cores under nitrous/ boost.

make a 3rd gear pass and listen to the engine. you want to pull the plugs and check them for any peppering (molten piston from detonation), it will look specs on the insulator. also make sure you dont burn the electrodes completly off. if the plug runs to hot this will happen. if you see peppering pull a few degrees timing out of it. only jiuce it at full throttle, never less.

if this is your first time with nitrous rember this. rember to shift. when you hit the button the engine will tach like you cant believe. if you hit it in second at 3200rpm be prepared cause that poor 302 will be doing 5500rpm by the time you blink.
+1. my first gear lasts about a second and I go no where because i spin. Its insane torque. So definately pay attention.

I use a step colder NGK's gapped at 40 with a 100 shot. A window switch is a nice little addition so you won't hve to worry bout over revving as much.

Quick Reply: Nitrous guys look in here, need some advice