5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Mustang vs. WRX

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 02:45 PM
converted
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang vs. WRX

If you do have 3.73's, that will help you out quite a bit (even if it is only in a 7.5" rear) My money would be on the 5.0. As stated above, if the WRX boggs, you got him. I almost beat one in my Dakota when the guy driving the WRX bogged. Lost by the length of the fender in about 1/8th mile.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:26 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang vs. WRX

Hmm , I think I have a good chance. Don't get me wrong , I really like his car and he is going to be doing some major stuff to it in a few months . But , he isn't a very impressive driver. How do you think I'll stack up after I get some good heads on it? Which do you recommend twisted wedge or GT-40 or what?
Old 06-26-2003, 03:59 PM
BLOWN91VERT
1st Gear Member

Default Mustang vs. WRX

You can't go into a race hoping someone will bog, miss a gear or drive poorly. Again no offense, if I was betting money I would bet on the WRX. I've raced them several times. They are quick. Maybe your buddy will blow it and drive like a grandma but wait until someone that does drive it hard runs you. Spend your money on a $400 nitrous set up and you won't need to worry even with your friends mods.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:19 PM
Sean
3rd Gear Member

Default Mustang vs. WRX

Hey, horatio102 I have a friend with a 2.5.What do thoes things run? Price? 1/4? 0-60 etc... I want to know if he is just talking s***. I do like the 2.5 RS better than the WRX,he was telling me he could make his car smoke a modded WRX.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:34 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang vs. WRX

Oh I'm definetly not bettingmy cousinscrew up on the driving end. I have just noticed while riding with him and racing people that he doesn't shift very well at all. I really won't care if he beats me anyways , I've picked on him my whole life anyways so he deserves to beat me really haha. But I just get tired of hearing how Mustangs suck and all that crap from him . So we are gonna see what happens when his $24,000 car races my $5000 car. Then whiel hes trying to make car payments I'll be upgrading my car on a steady basis . then we'll have our little race again eventually haha. It's going to be fun though. I'll have it on the road next week. It's going to be ready saturday but I have to get exhaust put on it next monday</P>
Old 06-26-2003, 05:43 PM
67gt500

Default Mustang vs. WRX

make sure you tell us the outcome.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:58 PM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

Default Mustang vs. WRX

Originally Posted by Sean
Hey, horatio102 I have a friend with a 2.5.What do thoes things run? Price? 1/4? 0-60 etc... I want to know if he is just talking s***. I do like the 2.5 RS better than the WRX,he was telling me he could make his car smoke a modded WRX.
Mine ran me about $20k new in december 2000. But I tacked on leather seats and a few other things. For a couple thousand more and 3 months of waiting I could have bought a WRX, but I didn't like the look as much, and I didn't want to wait. Besides, the RS is a better car for tight autocross courses.
1/4 mile times? I dunno. The fastest N/A RS on the Subaru 1/4 mile Registry is 14.3, but I don't know what all he's done to it. Most of the RS's are in the 15 second range. 0-60 from the factory I think is in the 7's.

The thing about first-gen Imprezas is that they're several hundred pounds lighter than the second generation, which helps quite a bit. There are plenty of bolt-on turbo kits for the 2.5rs that'll put it in the 240hp range, but you've got to be careful when you start doing that. The stock 5-speed can handle about 240hp but you risk breaking it (2nd gear usually) if you aren't really smooth. And then there's the fact that the 2.5 isn't designed for forced induction. People who start running high boost almost always blow their motor. The first 1999 RS turbo in Washington made it about 3 or 4 years, but eventually it blew.

To make them reliable takes a serious cash outlay.
1) Turbo kit - about 4 or 5 thousand with engine management
2) Hardened gearbox - ~$1200 for the STi gearset, plus install
3) engine internals - $$$ Cobb sells shortblocks for a couple grand that will withstand higher boost, but they're not cheap.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/thomasck/Registry.html
http://www.cobbtuning.com
Old 06-27-2003, 11:19 PM
88mustanggt

Default Mustang vs. WRX

yeah your car well beat a stock wrx, but you with the 7.5 dif. your running you may be looking for an 8.8 down the road.</P>
Old 06-27-2003, 11:27 PM
RAGNAROK
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang vs. WRX

Well I already got a 8.8 setting here still but I'm waiting till I get the engine and tranny all together and rolling before I worry about putting it in. I just figured I'de drive it around and play with it a bit first. I would rather race him with the 7.5 gear ratio and put the 8.8 in later. Plus i don't feel like fooling with the brakecrap either for alittle while.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:51 AM
yellow94gt
1st Gear Member

Default Mustang vs. WRX

the wrx has a good chance of winning if dude learns how to drive. I used to have a wrx, and I raced ponies alot and beat all but 4. Now if you put 4.10's or 3.73's in your stang... youll take him off the line no problem. but with thse stock 3.08's you dont have a chance. It doesnt take long for that turbo to spool up. you may have a problem with top end racing with that wrx (theyre fast) but they arent made for drag racing they are made for curves and dirt</P>

It doesnt matter, the mustang is a much better car for cheap "go fast goodies". And for having one I'd say ur a winner. </P>

I went thru 2 clutches and on that wrx and I had enough. Id never buy another. I got back with ford and I love em. </P>

Quick Reply: Mustang vs. WRX