5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Brakes are horrible

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 01:36 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Default Brakes are horrible

I just put new front brake pads on my car Friday because it wasnt stopping very good with the old pads, even though they werent really worn at all. They were a little glazed but still almost as thick as the new ones.
I used Wagner pads because the guy at the parts store said they were great pads to use. Theyre not the cheapest pads they had.
I didnt replace the rotors because they seem to be pretty good. Theres no grooves or waves in them.

The rear brakes were recently replaced by the previous owner.

The problem is that its hard to stop the car. When I hit the brakes hard they just lock up and the car skids. Also it smells like burning brakes when it stops hard.
It doesnt seem all that safe when that happens.

What could be the problem?

I dont want to upgrade the brakes to SN95 or Cobra just yet because I cant really afford to right now. I just want to be able to stop better with the stock set up.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:38 AM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Brakes are horrible

did you adjust your brakes? did you bleed them also? just checking.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:40 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

I didnt touch the rears. The previous owner said they were new so I didnt touch them.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:42 AM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

you should of checked them to be safe. you never know if that person was bull sh!tin you. just to be safe IMO i would of checked em out.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:48 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Ill pull a rear wheel when I get a chance in the next few days.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:49 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PJB
The problem is that its hard to stop the car. When I hit the brakes hard they just lock up and the car skids. Also it smells like burning brakes when it stops hard.
well, duh, if you press hard, the wheels WILL lock, sometimes you think you're not doing it hard but you are
Old 09-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86 5.0L

well, duh, if you press hard, the wheels WILL lock, sometimes you think you're not doing it hard but you are
How much better braking can you have than the wheels locking up? Sounds like you have traction problems.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:05 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

But this isnt a normal locking up. It seems like its taking too much to stop the car.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:06 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

How much better braking can you have than the wheels locking up? Sounds like you have traction problems.
The tires arent bald or anything though. The rear ones seem newer than the front but all 4 have decent tread on them (nowhere near bald).
Old 09-04-2006, 10:08 AM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

how is the feeeling in your brake pedal ? Does it feel mushy? does it come back up after you push it down ? when your removed your capilers did you clean and re grease the caliper slides???

Quick Reply: Brakes are horrible