5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

need help quick, maybe i'm stupid

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 05:43 PM
donpoppy

Default need help quick, maybe i'm stupid

I am in the process of replacing my valve seals. When I compress the spring in the intake valve, the rotator is stuck to the keepers so I can't remove the spring. Does anyone know how to get them to seperate? By the way it's an 1988 5.0.
Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! I'm getting frustrated....[:@]
Old 09-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default RE: need help quick, maybe i'm stupid

I don't have an answer, but someone will. I do have a question though. How did you know that your valve seals were bad? What were the symptoms exactly? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:50 PM
50Trippin
2nd Gear Member

are the heads still on the block? i just changed my seals and i had the same problem on one. i just kept tapping around the edge of the retainer very lightly until it finally broke loose. if the heads are off get a socket that is just big enough to cover the entire retainer give the socket a quick and somewhat forceful smack. make sure not to damage the valve stem of the valve itself.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:56 PM
93must
3rd Gear Member

Use a plastic mallet or rubber hammer! Tap on the end somewhat forcefully and it will come loose!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:06 PM
donpoppy

Twisted Date 9/7/2006 3:50:00 PM
I don't have an answer, but someone will. I do have a question though. How did you know that your valve seals were bad? What were the symptoms exactly? Thanks.

My symptoms are burning a quart of oil a week. Spark plug on no.2 cylinder constantly oil fouling and causing a miss. Have to replace that same plug very two weeks.
Thanks guys for the info. By the way I am doing it with the heads on the car using the rope trick.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: donpoppy

Twisted Date 9/7/2006 3:50:00 PM

My symptoms are burning a quart of oil a week. Spark plug on no.2 cylinder constantly oil fouling and causing a miss. Have to replace that same plug very two weeks.
Thanks guys for the info. By the way I am doing it with the heads on the car using the rope trick.
Thanks, Donpoppy. I guess you did a leakdown test first, to verify that it wasn't your rings. I ask because I'm toying around with the idea of changing my valve seals. Please report back to us and let us know the results, and how easy/difficult of a job it was. Good luck.

By the way, how many miles are on your car?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:13 PM
leadfootdriver
2nd Gear Member

Yep. My keepers were bound in the valve retainers too. I put a 2x4 piece of wood beneath the head, and hit my spring compresor with a soft hammer. It won't fly apart with power enough to take your head off , but it would be smart to put on some saftey glasses. Cup your hand with some gloves around the valve spring, and massage the spring untill the keepers free up. Usually 1 will fall out, and 1 will hang up in the retainer. Just be smart, and carefull.

Get a fine file to dress the end of the valve before you pull it out, because they're expanded a bit; they won't pull through the valve guide without carving their name in it!