5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I have a question about s

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 04:31 PM
FatStangMan

Default I have a question about s

Hi I have a 1989 LX5.0 with an AOD O/D trans. I was told that there is a way to shift the car that will hold it in second gear instead of allowing it to go into drive.I was told something about going from first to drive and then back to first would hold the car in second gear...but I was wondering if anyone could verify this for me!I could just swap it for a C4 for the 1st 2nd drive pattern...but I was wondering if what I had heard is true. Please reply with some information!!!!!</P>
Old 06-26-2003, 07:29 PM
nostang
2nd Gear Member

yes,thats true,just shift into drive when you want second and then pull it back into 1st until you want it to shift into 3rd,then shift back to drive.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:53 PM
BLOWN91VERT
1st Gear Member

You have to be really careful about how exactly you do that. If you pull it back to 1st too quickly it engages the OD band (very weak) and you can fry it. Let the motor settle into 2nd for a little while then pull it back to first to hold your peak RPM. You can also upgrade your valve body to allow a 1-2-3 shift pattern. Check out Lentech.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:05 AM
nmand

i used to do that. just put it in first and when you want to shift into second put it in drive. After it shifts into second pull it back down to first and then put it back in drive when you want to shift into third. I don't know how good it is for your transmission though.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:39 PM
nostang
2nd Gear Member

don't worry about the overdrive band,it's not doing anything in manual second,it only comes on in manual second to give engine braking if you are coasting,the drum that it holds is allready being held by the intermediate sprag.