MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   foul play.... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/176409-foul-play.html)

jagman454 09-06-2006 12:52 AM

foul play....

Ok, so got a 1990 5.0, started it up one day drove for about 2mins started sputterin and imediatly white/blue smoke started coming out, drove it back home pulled a spark plug, and it looked like there was concrete on the spark plug i mean even a wire brush and alot of elbow grease didnt get this thing clean and these arnt old spark plugs, I checked the exhaust and even once I turned the car off it looked like there was smoke still pouring out of the muffler, I dont mean floating away I mean pouring onto the floor it was like it was heavy or something it was weird, I'm not sure if it was just old engine it had like 170k on it but I dont beat it, or if someone put something in my gas tank....and before the car was burning oil not too bad but enough.... really need some help here thanks....

Twisted 09-06-2006 12:56 AM

RE: foul play....

For what it's worth, I've seen oil fouled plugs (at least what I thought were oil fouled plugs) have almost a whitish crust on them (believe it or not) that looks like concrete. I don't know why that happens though. Are all your plugs like that, or just a couple?

7upedition 09-06-2006 12:57 AM

drop the tank and take a look inside, white smoke is generally a head gasket, is there oil/coolant mixed on the dipstick? cant remember what blue smoke is caused by...sorry

jagman454 09-06-2006 12:59 AM

I only pulled one spark plug due that I have no free time anymore but yea i'll check that out

SRVirtual 09-06-2006 01:45 AM

I pulled my plugs and had big crusty oil balls (resembling a hairball) on my spark plugs and didnt have white smoke coming out, but if i remember right the farmers fuel which is tax free makes the exhaust have a blue smoke due to a dye or something in it. might want to check your fuel out and see whats up.

gspfunk 09-06-2006 01:56 AM

blue smoke is burning oil....white is usually a head gasket and will also smell kind of sweet and like coolant....might even make your hand wet if you hold it in front of the exhaust.

SRVirtual 09-06-2006 01:58 AM

i thought black smoke was burning oil? but i guess it could all be a dark color ive never had that problem before so i never got up close and personal with the smoke colors...

Twisted 09-06-2006 03:08 AM

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

blue smoke is burning oil....white is usually a head gasket and will also smell kind of sweet and like coolant....might even make your hand wet if you hold it in front of the exhaust.
+1

gspfunk 09-06-2006 11:24 AM

ORIGINAL: SRVirtual

i thought black smoke was burning oil? but i guess it could all be a dark color ive never had that problem before so i never got up close and personal with the smoke colors...
No, black often has to do w/ valve seals or other internal problems (rings, etc.).

7upedition 09-06-2006 12:17 PM

I pulled my ***** and had big crusty oil balls
LOL i read that wrong and was like dude sounds like your car the least of your worries... lol i'm a dumass