5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

foul play....

Old 09-06-2006, 12:52 AM
jagman454
2nd Gear Member

Default foul play....

Ok, so got a 1990 5.0, started it up one day drove for about 2mins started sputterin and imediatly white/blue smoke started coming out, drove it back home pulled a spark plug, and it looked like there was concrete on the spark plug i mean even a wire brush and alot of elbow grease didnt get this thing clean and these arnt old spark plugs, I checked the exhaust and even once I turned the car off it looked like there was smoke still pouring out of the muffler, I dont mean floating away I mean pouring onto the floor it was like it was heavy or something it was weird, I'm not sure if it was just old engine it had like 170k on it but I dont beat it, or if someone put something in my gas tank....and before the car was burning oil not too bad but enough.... really need some help here thanks....
Old 09-06-2006, 12:56 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default RE: foul play....

For what it's worth, I've seen oil fouled plugs (at least what I thought were oil fouled plugs) have almost a whitish crust on them (believe it or not) that looks like concrete. I don't know why that happens though. Are all your plugs like that, or just a couple?
Old 09-06-2006, 12:57 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

drop the tank and take a look inside, white smoke is generally a head gasket, is there oil/coolant mixed on the dipstick? cant remember what blue smoke is caused by...sorry
Old 09-06-2006, 12:59 AM
jagman454
2nd Gear Member

I only pulled one spark plug due that I have no free time anymore but yea i'll check that out
Old 09-06-2006, 01:45 AM
SRVirtual
1st Gear Member

I pulled my plugs and had big crusty oil ***** (resembling a hairball) on my spark plugs and didnt have white smoke coming out, but if i remember right the farmers fuel which is tax free makes the exhaust have a blue smoke due to a dye or something in it. might want to check your fuel out and see whats up.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:56 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

blue smoke is burning oil....white is usually a head gasket and will also smell kind of sweet and like coolant....might even make your hand wet if you hold it in front of the exhaust.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:58 AM
SRVirtual
1st Gear Member

i thought black smoke was burning oil? but i guess it could all be a dark color ive never had that problem before so i never got up close and personal with the smoke colors...
Old 09-06-2006, 03:08 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gspfunk

blue smoke is burning oil....white is usually a head gasket and will also smell kind of sweet and like coolant....might even make your hand wet if you hold it in front of the exhaust.
+1
Old 09-06-2006, 11:24 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SRVirtual

i thought black smoke was burning oil? but i guess it could all be a dark color ive never had that problem before so i never got up close and personal with the smoke colors...
No, black often has to do w/ valve seals or other internal problems (rings, etc.).
Old 09-06-2006, 12:17 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

I pulled my ***** and had big crusty oil *****
LOL i read that wrong and was like dude sounds like your car the least of your worries... lol i'm a dumass

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: foul play....