5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

hang heads low, my 5.0's gunna blow

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 01:11 PM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default hang heads low, my 5.0's gunna blow

yea its a pretty sad feeling. the slip shifting aod now wont even shift into second with the foot down... even if you 1-D-1 shuffle it. It's slipping pretty bad, with decent fluid in it. and what i thought was a great motor for 300k i was fooled by a lying oil pressure gauge that i thought never worked when really, i ididnt have oil pressure. Things started to get loud the first sign of noise....i dont even have a valve tap yet. i threw some Gunk Motor Flush in it with some synthetic 10-40 like i usually run with every oil change, this one unschedueled and the motor flush made a HUGE difference.i now have oil pressure. Brilliant. not as much as im supposed to its maybe 4 at idle and 7 with regular driving. i wouldnt dare floor it im going to get an autometer oil pressure gauge b.c. i dont trust the stock one ....but i dont know if i should put any more money into this car. im going to do another quart of motor flush when i do an oil change next time, my trans is slippin real bad its on its way out. Honestly, what would you do? I have all the ideas, none of the money.
-and a brand new track heat intake sits on the garage floor, along with other mods to go with it.
-my grammar skills do suck im not gunna lie [8D]
Old 09-06-2006, 01:15 PM
5speed GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: hang heads low, my 5.0's gunna blow

pull the motor and tranny, do a full rebuild and buy a t-5 and trash that auto... but it just depends on how much you like the car. you can do a rebuild pretty cheap... if you think the engine is trash too, you can get another 302 with everything on it for around $400-$500
Old 09-06-2006, 01:16 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

buy the gauge hook it up if motor is reading low.. drive it till she dies

i had an old motor that had no oil pressure, made lots of noise but it still started and drove down the road

shouldnt floor a car with 300k miles anyway.. just asking for trouble even with good oil pressure
Old 09-06-2006, 01:17 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

$500 woujld be kind of expensive too. I have seen whole 5.0 motors go for $200 bucks before.

Also, your oil pressure is VERY low.... have that checked out.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:18 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

i hang my head in your honor whiteout.... well you can sell the track heat intake and use that dough to get the engine repaired (oil pump?), perhaps you can find a junkyard tranny to swap out, or maybe you can sell it for another 5.0 thats in better running order. personally since i'm a sucker for things i'd spend a bunch of money on my cc to fix the motor and then find a used tranny thats been rebuilt, not sure what they go for maybe $1000? what kinda shape is the rest of the car in? car you use it for a donor car for a new mustang? good luck
Old 09-06-2006, 01:32 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: whiteout 5.0

yea its a pretty sad feeling. the slip shifting aod now wont even shift into second with the foot down... even if you 1-D-1 shuffle it. It's slipping pretty bad, with decent fluid in it. and what i thought was a great motor for 300k i was fooled by a lying oil pressure gauge that i thought never worked when really, i ididnt have oil pressure. Things started to get loud the first sign of noise....i dont even have a valve tap yet. i threw some Gunk Motor Flush in it with some synthetic 10-40 like i usually run with every oil change, this one unschedueled and the motor flush made a HUGE difference.i now have oil pressure. Brilliant. not as much as im supposed to its maybe 4 at idle and 7 with regular driving. i wouldnt dare floor it im going to get an autometer oil pressure gauge b.c. i dont trust the stock one ....but i dont know if i should put any more money into this car. im going to do another quart of motor flush when i do an oil change next time, my trans is slippin real bad its on its way out. Honestly, what would you do? I have all the ideas, none of the money.
-and a brand new track heat intake sits on the garage floor, along with other mods to go with it.
-my grammar skills do suck im not gunna lie [8D]
You know the 1-d-1 shuffle causes second gear to go? You can get used aod's in good condition for cheap. Lots of people swap them out for 5 speeds. I got my aod with a shift kit installed in it already for $200 and it only had 50k on it. If your oil pressure only goes between 4-7psi I wouldn't even start the car. It should be at 25psi at warm idle. I would do a basic rebuild on the motor at least, new rings, bearings, oil pump, and gaskets.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:36 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

wow didnt realize you could get a used tranny that cheap, of course like you said the auto's are more often swapped out where as the 5 spd's are more desirable
Old 09-06-2006, 01:51 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I have been trying to sell my AOD that I put over a grand into with less than 600 miles on it for $275 and noone wants it... the only thing is, it had problems shifting but Im not sure if it was linkage related or tranny related. But still, I have about $1,100 into it from a performance rebuild with 600 miles on it and its been for sale for over a year now and noone wants it [&:][:@]
Old 09-06-2006, 07:05 PM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

buy the gauge hook it up if motor is reading low.. drive it till she dies

i had an old motor that had no oil pressure, made lots of noise but it still started and drove down the road

shouldnt floor a car with 300k miles anyway.. just asking for trouble even with good oil pressure
and like things couldnt get any worse? 3 tickets one sitting today just now. long story short remember that front drain plug problem i was talking about? it leaked and was pissin out oil out of the front of the pan. i have no speedo and got clockd running home since the mobil1 was expensive and couldnt afford to replace it rite now, 80 in a 45, failure to wear seatbelt bc i took it off to grab the papers for the cop, and failure to make necesarry repairs. I'm in love with this car but i think its gotta go my family cant afford it even though i work 2 jobs i can barely keep up either.

but for now whats a good gauge and what would i pay for a decent oil pressure gauge?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:12 PM
94Cobrakid16
3rd Gear Member

wow, i feel sorry for you man.

Quick Reply: hang heads low, my 5.0's gunna blow