5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1987-1990 mustang GT HCI Exhaust/Gears & S/C

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 07:19 AM
musclekid
1st Gear Member

Default 1987-1990 mustang GT HCI Exhaust/Gears & S/C

Hey guys I am about to buy a 1987-1990 mustang GT and I need some input, and details..

Some people gave me some tips and told me to install:
-Dry Nitrous Kits w/ 100 or 150 shot
-HCI Exhaust
-HCI Gears
-S/C

Okay, so I know what the dry nitrous kits are.

What I need is a description of what the HCI Exhaust and HCI Gears do, what S/C is, and how to install S/C into a 1987-1990 5.0 Mustang GT

Please no one post to this thread as your own opinion, I am looking for facts. Thank you.

All help is greatly appreciated

One more question: Would a 1987-1990 5.0 Mustang GT with these 4 installs burn a 1999 Mustang GT V8 4.6L ROHC?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 AM
musclekid
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 1987-1990 mustang GT HCI Exhaust/Gears & S/C

Anyone?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:27 AM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

s/c is super charger.
HCI is heads, cam, intake (mostly talking about a switch)
and if its a manual i'd go with 3.73 gears, much better than stock
about the exhaust theres too many combinations out there you'd have to choose your own.
with those 4 installs you'd beat your dads car, but i don't think you can have nitrious with a s/c
Old 09-07-2006, 09:30 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Dont get a dry nitrous kit, if you intend on having one, get a wet one, you want to stay rich, and retard timing for every 50lb's of nitrous you are going to shoot.
As far as beating a 4.6? There a great deal many opinions, and I dont want to **** off my bro's, but I think, stock for stock, a 5.0 will beat a 4.6. The car you are looking at is a great platform and you should have no trouble modding and beating some of the more expensive and heavily modded cars out there. You can also look at the 94 and 95's, they had 5.0's as well. Just remember, there will always be someone out there is a little bit faster.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:33 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Well, i would start your mods off balanced, the suspension needs to be stiffened if your going to be spraying, or running a s/c, start with subframe connectors, torque boxes, also in the "stickies" or tech article section at the top of the posts there is a post of all the best freebie mods to do. Gears are 3.55 for 5 spd, 3.73 for AOD, these gear ratios will increase the slow acceleration of the stock 2.73 gears. Also, Head/Cam/Intake combos are unlimited, but you can buy predetermined top end kits from trickflow, edelbrock, etc.

the search button is the fatest way to find the info your looking for
Old 09-07-2006, 11:16 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

heres some links to general info on superchargers:

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/techinfo-general.htm
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/support/
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger.htm
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...bell_shootout/

and poke around on the pipes,boost, and juice forums... just reading though the threads you'll learn alot of good stuff!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:27 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

You wont take a 4.6 stock for stock but it will only take a little modding to beat them. I would not try to run a supercharger and nitrous.... it gets complicated. You can look at entry level blowers which would be Vortech SC Trim's, Paxton Novi 1000's, etc. With a heads, cam, intake package your options are endless. Alot of people like to take the guess work out of matching up a nice combination so they go with a h/c/i kit. Trickflow, Holly and I think one other company makes these kits. They typically run around 2,200 plus supporting mods. As for gears, IMO if its an automatic I would go with 4.10's and if its a manual go with 3.73's+... BUT if you are definetly going to supercharge it than stick with a higher gears (4.10's is a lower gear than a 3.73... get it?). If your going to boost it and running an auto I would go with 3.73's and 3.55's for a manual if you are going to be boosting it. Don't forget that you cant just throw a whole bunch on power into your car and think your going to run great times. Start with subframe connectors, torque box reinforcements, etc. Dont forget about the rest of your suspension... springs, struts, shocks, upper/lower control arms, etc. Tires are also a great investment when your putting down good hp/tq numbers. Also, if you are running an aod look into getting a shift kit and a higher stall converter... tons of people run 3000 stal edge converters with great success and TransGo shift kits. For exhaust, the possiblities are literally endless. Also, dont forget about supporting mods with everything like throttle bodies, pulleys, mass air, etc.

Good luck.... and Im sure you will have tons of questions so feel free to ask. But you should check out the stickies in Tech Articles and look at the tech article called First Mods. That will open you up to alot of the beginner mods (including the free ones; bumping timing, removing air silencer, etc.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:08 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

I know you didn't ask for opinions but I'm still going to give you mine.

You're 15 years old, don't buy any big power adders for you car. When you buy your car just get a CAI, exhaust, and maybe gears. Wait till you have more driving experience before you do anything big.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:45 PM
musclekid
1st Gear Member

i've been driving since i was 13, i knew enough road laws and how to drive at 14 to pass a CA DMV license driving exam. i think i've got enough driving experience not to crash the car i buy.

also... i hope no SF police are on these forums, but I use to boost cars a LOT, mostly toyota's and acura's, but i've been driving pretty much how a provisional licensed driver would drive for about 2 and a half years now.

i work very well with cars that i can learn, just need to learn them... first car i owned was a cadillac (one piece of crap i never want again), got a handbook for it, and replaced the alternator, did an oil change and changed my spark plugs in the first 2 days that i bought the car, and i didn't know anything (i mean ANYTHING) about cars at that time before i read it up.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:22 PM
875.0lxvarley

hooray for oil changes and changing plugs....

Quick Reply: 1987-1990 mustang GT HCI Exhaust/Gears & S/C