5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

AC Delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 04:51 AM
Disgustang
1st Gear Member

Default AC Delete

Looking into removing my AC compressor because it does not work. How do I do this? DO i need to cap anything off at all or what is there too it other than removing the compressor boilts and taking it out? Also will it effect my car negatively if I bypass the air pump (smog pump)...is it even worth it to take off the compressor? How much HP should I gain from that?
Old 07-06-2004, 02:13 PM
bobby
5th Gear Member

Default RE: AC Delete

i dont really much about ac but i do about the smog pump. u ca bypass this it wont hurt ANYTHING!!! if u want u can just remove it and get a shorter belt. the hoes that goes to it goes to the back of the heads, and there is anothe one that goes to the middle of the h pipe. just take em all off. when u do that though there will be about a half inch hole where u took it off the h pipe, just crimp te end, its harfd ot undderstang just look at the h pipe u will c what i mean. wheh i got the car the owner just took the smog pump off and disconnected it then took the fins off inside of it, basically gutted it, then put in ack on, so there is basically no strain from that on the engine, its moreless an idler pulley now, u ca do this if u dont want to buy a new belt, but if u can find the right size belt just take it off completely.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:00 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

to do a clean job of removing the AC compressor, you need to get the Mustang fuel line removal tool from a local parts store, they sell for less than $20, to disconnect the AC lines from the compressor at the condensor and the lines going to the interior evaporator coil at the firewall. Be careful disconnecting the lines as if there is any freon in them it may be under some pressure even if the compressor isn't working. You can get a new shorter belt to skip the AC pulley from a local parts store and you can also remove all the other lines and the condensor from in front of the radiator to save some additional weight and clutter under your hood. You might have to modify the belt tensioner some in order to get the correct tension on a shorter belt, I did on my '88 when I removed my AC system.
The air pump can also be removed easy enough. Instead of removing the tubing lines from the back of the heads, I took one of the 180 degree bend rubber hoses and connected the hard line from behind the heads to the hard line running down to the H-pipe and let the suction pulses from the exhaust keep the hot air moving on from the heads down to the exhaust and have had no problems with this set-up.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:41 AM
EmptyEvergreen
3rd Gear Member

just get your ac repaired unless you live in alaska you will onyl regret not having ac and you wont gain anything from removing it
Old 07-07-2004, 07:22 AM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

your all forgeting something, get an ac delete kit that comes with new bolts and a bracket. it doesnt even cost $100 and what it does is basically when u take ur ac out it moves ur power steering pump up to where it bolts on to the head and it looks clean. as far as getting a new belt goes if u go to a local parts store they sell a belt for ur car without ac so it will fit perfectly and u wont have to do n e thing with ur belt tensioner
Old 07-07-2004, 03:28 PM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

I briefly looked into this shorter belt route and I'm a little confused about how the tensioner will work without having the upshot to the AC pump pulley. It looks like if you take out the pump, there won't be any belt passing at an angle where the tensioner will actually press on it.

FWIW, go to an AC service shop and get it discharged first, no sense in spilling any more freon than absolutely necessary. And I didn't need a fuel line removal tool for the lines at the compressor or the evaporator - they're just 1" nuts are they not? I think I used my 10" adjustible crescent wrench.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:31 PM
blown87Gt
1st Gear Member

most mustang shops sell a a/c, smog pump elim kits and are easy to install
Old 07-07-2004, 03:35 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I needed the fuel line tools to remove the condensor from in front of the radiator on my '88 and also at the firewall too.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:33 PM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

er, the front I used a dremel on, but back at the firewall it just unscrewed iirc.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:42 PM
chriscindy6369
3rd Gear Member

keep the A/C Anyways liek what was said, when it's hot it's Hot. No use sitting in a nice ride Sweating your ***** off just to pick up 10 hp which you wont even notice anyways. I have both the Smog and ac on my car and both work. And my cars pretty good...

Quick Reply: AC Delete