5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Project car

Old 07-06-2004, 09:38 PM
jeff_h

Default Project car

Hi guys and gals....

New to the forum, but have gotten some good info by reading. Thanks!

Here's the situation....

I want to build a car this fall/winter and have decided to do a Mustang. I have built cars in the past, but I have no "toy" at the moment. I miss that!

I'm looking for a 94-95 GT convertible (not Cobra) as we speak (preferably stock) and plan the following:

347 Stroker (forged components)
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge/Track Heat induction kit (heads, u/l intake, cam, etc.) It's in the Summit catalog.
MSD ignition
BBK exhaust
Tremec or Richmond Gear 6 speed
Urethane suspension stuff
Performance upper/lower control arms
Coil overs in the front
Saleen body kit

You get the picture.

Anyhoo, I have never done a Mustang before. Both my dad and my sister (younger sister [:@]) have Cobras (1996 for the sis, 2001 for the dad), but I really want to do a 5.0, not a modular. I can do all the mechanical/electrical/whatever myself, I'll just have to job out the machining and paint.

I'm looking for tips/suggestions/"No way dude, don't do that!" kind of info.

FWIW, I'm not a kid. My wife and I do have 1 though. I'm in my mid thirties and have an engineering degree.

TIA,

Jeff
Old 07-06-2004, 09:55 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Project car

Welcome to the forums Jeff. You know what would be sweeter than a 347 in that car? A 408 stroker (351w block) with big AFR heads, performer RPM intake, nice big roller cam, etc.

If you're sold on the Trick Flow route you could do that too, they make nice 5.0 stuff. Nothing really to worry about, just make sure if you go the stroker route you get a quality stroker kit and make sure the company you get the kit from has addressed and fixed the typical sideload problems of the early and cheaper stroker kits. You don't wanna have to rebuild the bottom end after 10k miles. Sounds like a sweet ride - good luck hope you can do it.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:37 PM
SCARFACE
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

Welcome to the forums Jeff. You know what would be sweeter than a 347 in that car? A 408 stroker (351w block) with big AFR heads, performer RPM intake, nice big roller cam, etc.

If you're sold on the Trick Flow route you could do that too, they make nice 5.0 stuff. Nothing really to worry about, just make sure if you go the stroker route you get a quality stroker kit and make sure the company you get the kit from has addressed and fixed the typical sideload problems of the early and cheaper stroker kits. You don't wanna have to rebuild the bottom end after 10k miles. Sounds like a sweet ride - good luck hope you can do it.
Totally agree with mdvaldosta make sure to put some pic's here once you finish
Old 07-06-2004, 11:03 PM
jeff_h

I originally thought of doing a FFR Roadster w/ a 351W, but decided I wanted something more "modern". That and the registration/insurance issues.

My thinking is that I have a daily driver already, so it's no big thing to yank the drivetrain from the Mustang and play with it. Going the stroked 351 route would require another motor instead of building the 302 in the car that I get. Sure, more CI's would be hella fun, but I'm looking for a streetable plaything.

BTW, I've seen a few blurbs about 347 strokers being not so reliable and 331's being a little better. Can anyone elaborate??

THX,

Jeff
Old 07-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Moosetang
3rd Gear Member

Please go with a coupe. If your wanting to build a rocket stay away from verts.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:16 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

The 331's are said to be more reliable because they didn't have the issues I mentioned about the 347 strokers in my first post. The kits are much better now, well most of them. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:05 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

i agree with the 351 idea. and, as a matter of fact, thats what im doin this winter!!!! lol. btw- a 351 (or 408 if you stroke it) will be very streetable. It will also be very fast. if you really want to stay with the 302, then do a 347 (but a good one, like mentioned earlier). one thing just for you to look into is converting to carburetor. that trick flow kit wouldnt work, but it is easier to tune and much cheaper. if you do a 351 i highly suggest doin it carbureted.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:12 PM
chriscindy6369
3rd Gear Member

My good friend runs 9.64's at 138mph if i remember right. He has a 94 GT with a 460ci n/a Auto with stall converter and transbrake. The Car is very nasty, pulls the wheel's even on the street. Anyways it sounds friggen nasty. Bigger the better i'd say
Old 07-07-2004, 02:14 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

i could get you a 460 for cheap.... freshly rebuilt.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:52 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Being the oldest fart out here on this forum at 55, let me suggest you look for a hatchback rather than a vert. If you're looking for just good street performance and some decent gas mileage, then do a thorough rebuild on the stock 5.0 that comes in the car you buy. You might need to bore it out to a 306 ci. Put some 3.73 gears in the rear and you will be plenty happy with this set-up and you won't have to spend a fortune up front to see what you can get. After you do this much, then you can look at improvements if you aren't that happy with the newly rebuilt stock set-up.
The problem with the older 347 kits was the wrist pin location intruded into the oil ring area and they burned a lot of oil but the newer kits don't locate the wrist pin into the oil ring anymore and this cured the problem. If you go with a 351 or larger, you will need to get a cowl hood to get clearance for the engine as it is taller than the 5.0 motor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project car