5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

where to spend the $$

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 12:06 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default where to spend the $$

I am ready to pull the trigger and and put some cash in the motor of my 94 but really cannot decided which direction to go. Right now it is completly stock and with 90k miles on it. I went to a local shop and talked to them last week and I guess I am confused why they were excited that it still had the 302, but then wanted to yank it when I told them I was thinking around $5k? I guess I would like to keep this motor until it goes, and then get a new motor. What is the reliability and price of boring it?
Old 09-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Dath
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: where to spend the $$

They prolly thought it was going to be a 4.6. I'd **** myself with joy if I thought I had a 4.6 and actually had a 5.0 too.

Tell us what you want to end up with and then it would be easier to give you good advice on how to get there...hp range, street vs. strip, power adders, etc.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:19 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I told them it was an sn95. Like I said they were excited to hear it was a 302 and then wanted to pull it?

I specifically would like to be able to kick the hell outta most any ricer first and foremost. Of course there is always a faster car but..

I plan on keepin this car for a long time, it was my mothers and I had to wait a long time to get it. I want to keep some reliability but still be able to beat on it and possibly take it to the strip on a friday nights. Like I said I would like to keep the motor that is in it now and use it.

Thanks fer yer time guys.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:21 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

They were excited because the 302 TAKES TO MODS REALLY WELL. Heres the route I personally would go, yank the motor and check the tolerances. That means plastiguage the rod and main bearings. Measure piston to cylinder clearance (youll need a really long feeler guage), measure the bore (bore guage/dial indicator). Boring it out will yield VERY little in terms of power output. If its all within spec, just hone the cylinders and slap in some new rings and bearings and the lower end will be all set.
Then look into some aftermarket heads, cam, and a MATCHING intake setup. Get some good headers, off-road H or X pipe (your preferance), and a good set of mufflers, then get a tune, and youll have one fast stang.
-P.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:28 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

^ +1 pzero, a lot of people don't bother checking the bottom end before slapping on a h/c/i combo, a machine shop should be able to do the short block for ya if you dont have the tools or knowledge (i dont). then you will have a good platform to go from. A trickflow street heat top end kit would be good, and depending on your money you could upgrade to a s/c or just do other bolt ons. Before you get too crazy into hp i'd look into a few susepnsion mods, subframes, upper/lower control arms and weld in torque boxes. Good luck and do a lot of homework before you order
Old 09-12-2006, 09:40 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I will probably be going by the shop in the next few days when I get paid to talk about it. I know electronics and if the radio or alarm was out I would be the guy to fix it, I hate feelin like a stipid kid in a speed shop... This is how I was hopin to do my homework, I would rather hear it from you guys the people that know rather then the guy that is tryin to sell me stuff.

Ok, so do some motor, some suspension, gotya, anythin else?