5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

mods

Old 07-07-2004, 10:03 PM
89vertgt
1st Gear Member

Default mods

I'm back again......

what are some good free/REALLY CHEAP mods I can do to my 89 5.0 vert?

I want to advance the timing...how far can I go?

what size belt should I use to bypass my smog and ac?
Old 07-07-2004, 10:10 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: mods

Advance the timing to 14* - 15* (most without pinging) and run 91 octane fuel, remove the air silencer, remove some weight, can't remember the correct size for the belt, I just measured the length and tried different sizes till it fit (been a long time since I had a 5.0)
Old 07-07-2004, 10:12 PM
89vertgt
1st Gear Member

well I removed the air silencer and built an inexpensive intake that runs from the foglight hole to the fender....you can see pics of that in the gallery along with pics of the car/engine.....and thnx for the timing info
Old 07-08-2004, 01:12 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Pullies, CAI, and Gears are all pretty cheap
And decent for what they cost
Old 07-08-2004, 01:57 AM
lucky
1st Gear Member

that is 1 hell of an idea you had with the fog light idea.
i gotta few questions thow (and i recomend you check out the gallery pics he posted)

1 ive never modded before, so what is that tube running up to & did you have to cut a hole in the botton of that box to install it?

2 do you think a T adapter between 2 of the fog lights with that tube would have a greater effect?

3 have you noticed a diffrence/ how much HP do you think was added?

4 would this be a poor mans mod instead of the cold air filter, or is that something totally diffrent?

thanx a million. i gotta 88GT, i am assuming we would have the same set up?
lucky
Old 07-08-2004, 01:46 PM
89vertgt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lucky

that is 1 hell of an idea you had with the fog light idea.
i gotta few questions thow (and i recomend you check out the gallery pics he posted)

1 ive never modded before, so what is that tube running up to & did you have to cut a hole in the botton of that box to install it?

2 do you think a T adapter between 2 of the fog lights with that tube would have a greater effect?

3 have you noticed a diffrence/ how much HP do you think was added?

4 would this be a poor mans mod instead of the cold air filter, or is that something totally diffrent?

thanx a million. i gotta 88GT, i am assuming we would have the same set up?
lucky

I came up with the idea and then heard that roundmanracing had done something like that and I talked to him and he gave me some ideas...

it uses the stock intake....the whole is already there but I did have to drill some holes in the fiberglass bumber.....I bought two 4" round flanges from the plumbing section at home depot cost like 2 bucks or something I don't remember and I got a 10' dryer vent.....my guess is that it might have added maybe 3 or 4 hp.......not a huge increase......

I don't think the T adapter would do much cuz you can only force so much air through the hose, but I don't kno w I might look into that idea

about the advancing of my timing....when I start to advance my timing...the car starts dying....I think its cuz my fuel pump is wired incorrectly...any ideas?
Old 07-08-2004, 01:49 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

You can only advance it so far then it will do that. You need to use a timing light.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:51 PM
89vertgt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

You can only advance it so far then it will do that. You need to use a timing light.

I know...2 problems though....you can't see the timing mark on my pulley......and i'm barely advancing it at all...it doesn't seem to be helping at all

we have a timing gun......but you can't see the mark so it doesn't do any good
Old 07-08-2004, 01:55 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

1. Get a piece of chalk and make a mark on the balancer where you want to set the timing at. Be sure you remove the spout connector as well.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:57 PM
89vertgt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

1. Get a piece of chalk and make a mark on the balancer where you want to set the timing at. Be sure you remove the spout connector as well.
can I make the mark anywhere? how does that work? and what is the spout connector?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mods