MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Wierd Problems W/ Door (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/178971-wierd-problems-w-door.html)

88BlueGT 09-12-2006 01:07 AM

Wierd Problems W/ Door

Ok Well today was a very frustrating day. I had about an hour of light left so I decided to replace my door lock motor. I took apart the armest, panel, etc. and got everything off. Replaced and motor and it still didnt work! Any ideas? The connectors were gunked up with crap so I cleaned them out with connector cleaner and pluged it back in and NOTHING. Any ideas?

Also, the only thing I did was take off the door panel (very carefully at that), armrest and thats it. NOW for some reason when I go to close my door it gets stuck and feels like its getting caught on something. Its really aggrivating because you now have to put a decent amount of force into closing/opening the door and its going to be annoying for passengers. And if you just to just swing it open it will come back and slam your legs lol Does anyone have any clues what could of caused this because I am totally clueless because I didnt even mess with the door.

And for the last problem... the door lock works fine (with panel off) when locking/unlocking manually (with your hands) but as soon as I put the door panel on the lock gets stuck and wont move... I tried figiting with it a thousand times and cant get it. Anyone else have this problem?

Tonight has been super sh*tty so any help is appreciated... Thanks!

88BlueGT 09-12-2006 02:00 AM

RE: Wierd Problems W/ Door

TTT

88BlueGT 09-12-2006 12:55 PM

TTT

7upedition 09-12-2006 01:11 PM

when i replaced the door lock actuator on my drivers side door, i did just as you described, and i had no problems, did you get the actuator with a bunch of different links that match up to your make model car? the kit i got from 50 resto had those and they threaded into the actuator and then linked onto the lock arm, if you did, are you sure the link is the correct one? could your door be pinching the wires that go through the door panel into the door jamb? that may be binding up and causing the door not to shut, try adjusting the metal door lock pin that receses into the door panel when locked, maybe when it is in the locked posistion it is below the hole and falling out of alignment and when it actuates its hitting the door panel.... it has threads on it, try to raise it and see if it helps. sorry i dont have any better suggestions, mine went pretty smooth, good luck

88BlueGT 09-12-2006 01:15 PM

Well, it actually came with the car because it never worked to begin with. The connector was just hanging inside the door and it just came with the motor in the glovebox. Another thing is, is this supposed to mount somewhere because if it does I couldnt find it? And the door lock itsself is in the correct position and comming out of the hole and through the door panel (its not falling down into the door). When the panel is off it will lock/unlock perfectly but when I try to put the panel over top of it it looks fine but the lock wont move...

Also, with the little actuator, there is a screw looking thing comming out of the top that threads into it. Is this supposed to be somewhere. Im pretty sure this could be a huge reason why nothing is working. Its just connected to the connector and hanging there.... any explanation? Thanks

7upedition 09-12-2006 01:21 PM

the actuator should have two lil rods sticking out the sides (180* from eachother) that will clip onto a plastic mount inside the door, the plastic clip is rivoted to the rear narrow side of the door (where the door tag is) there are two round clips that face down and the acutator has to clip into these, and then it will be stationary allowing the actuator to move up and down in a fixed posistion.

88BlueGT 09-12-2006 01:24 PM

ah hah! That might be the problem! :D Ok Well I broke all my little trees on the panel becuase I was freaking out and kept on ripping the panel off the door (literally) so I need to go get new trees today and than Ill try it again. I will let you know what happens. Thanks alot 7up.... you da man! :D

7upedition 09-12-2006 01:27 PM

check to see if that mount is there too becasue if its not rivoted in you'll need to buy a special rivot from ford, its an oversixed base, almost 3/4" to 1" in OD. and no no no... you da man blue

88BlueGT 09-12-2006 01:28 PM

I dont even think I have the mount there because I looked for it and came up with nothing.... [&:]

7upedition 09-12-2006 01:32 PM

i cant remenber if the 50resto kit came with the mount i can check at home and if it did i'll mail it to ya. i just checked resto and the pics shows the mount with it. as for the rivot i drilled mine out cause the actuator was binding and couldn't unhook it so i just threaded the hole and used a really short 1/4-20 bolt.