5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

underdrive pullies mak'n me run hot?

Old 07-09-2004, 02:22 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: underdrive pullies mak'n me run hot?

Just because the thermostat is rated to open at a given temperature doens't mean that the engine temperature will be at that temperature all the time, it just means that this where the thermostat is designed to open and let coolant flow out the the block to the radiator. The condition of the cooling system and engine speed and load will determine the actual operating temperature of the engine which doesn't necessarily equal the thermostat setting. You want to see an engine run hot, let the oil level get low in the crankcase and watch the temperature go way up even with a 160 stat! Many years ago when I worked in a gas station a young girl pulled in with her boyfriend's SS 396 Chevy complaining that it was running hot. She had been cruising around the shopping center across the road from the station with a bunch of other kids just idling around. The heat about knocked me down when I opened the hood and the upper radiator hose was as hard as a rock! I ran water over the radiator for about 10 minutes until the pressure went down enough so that I could open the radiator cap and it was full of antifreeze. Then I decided to check the oil level. First time there was no oil on the dipstick at all. I showed it to her and she said add whatever it needed, so I put in a quart and checked again, still nothing on the stick. I landed up adding 4 quarts of oil before the level got up to normal on the dipstick! That proved to me that the engine oil does remove a lot of heat from the engine!
Stant makes good themostats and if you get the proper one for the model engine you have, it should work just fine.
I do agree about the ignition module though as electronic components are best bought from the factory!
Old 07-09-2004, 05:34 PM
LLADNAR
1st Gear Member

I work at a Ford Shop also and i tell people to buy Ford parts too and i don't make any comision off of them i just know they are the best for Fords, in certain areas,,,like aftermarket performance is one place where i buy for others. but maintainance stuff i have never had problems with them.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:36 PM
89vertgt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LLADNAR

I work at a Ford Shop also and i tell people to buy Ford parts too and i don't make any comision off of them i just know they are the best for Fords, in certain areas,,,like aftermarket performance is one place where i buy for others. but maintainance stuff i have never had problems with them.

so then should I go to ford to buy my o2 sensors? or should I get the bosch?
Old 07-09-2004, 05:41 PM
LLADNAR
1st Gear Member

depends,,if you are buying the ones that you have to wire in then yeah i would buy the Fords becuase they plug right in ,,i have had to install those wire in o2s and they suck if it is a direct plug in i think it would be good to buy a bosch mainly the things i focus on when staying with for are things like brake pads,, plug wires(if stock is the way you wanna go) and gaskets and seals. I have never had anything but trouble with other brands of brake pads they all squeak and dust up instantly
Old 07-09-2004, 05:52 PM
89vertgt
1st Gear Member

hmmm what about brake rotors? mine are warped
Old 07-09-2004, 07:27 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

well the guy maybe right on some parts as most places do sell cheap parts and lets face it we shop to save $$$$$..buy a robertshaw hipo stat..when it said 180 it's fully opened at 180 not like ford when it "starts" to open at 190 but maybe 205 before it's fully open...flush you system put in a 60/40 mix, 1 bottle of redline water wetter and a new rad cap for the right pressure as this car cause a car to over heat..and buy a new mech. gauge so you can keep a close eye on it also use syn. oils....also pulling the underhood liner will gain some hood clearance