5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ABS in a 87

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Old_Smokey
2nd Gear Member

Default ABS in a 87

Hey all, been a while since I last posted but been doing some serious work to project smokey. Anyone I was getting to the suspension and gonna vert to the 5 lug cobra 4 disc rotors, when an interesting idea popped in my head. ABS in my fox? I have never seen it, it may have been done or is popular but I have never seen a ABS conversion. Any suggestons or points in the right direction would help. Thank guys. [:'(]
Old 09-14-2006, 06:55 PM
91stang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: ABS in a 87

i saw an article is 5.0 musatng about putting IRS in a fox but not ABS
Old 09-14-2006, 08:55 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

Dont mess with the ABS. Its so involved its not funny. All 4 wheels have sensors, a big wiring harness setup, a computer, and so much other BS that its really more work than its worth. Youd also need a totally different master cylinder, that if it fails, would cost you about 1500 bucks for a reman unit. Dont bother with it, its crappy.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Old_Smokey
2nd Gear Member

i can agree with you there it would probably be alot more trouble than its worth but I bet when you have to make a sudden stop and your tires lock ( i.e. no ABS) and slam someone who decides to be a jerkoff and cut you off or what not your gonna wish you put that ABS in . As anyone can say its not just how fast you can go but to be able to stop it [:'(]
Old 09-14-2006, 11:41 PM
hectanooga
1st Gear Member

Besides, ABS won't let you lock up your wheels!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hectanooga

Besides, ABS won't let you lock up your wheels!!!
wanna bet? H ave had the rear 4 wheels of a F350 duelie lock up on me, F1 cars have ABS and lock up all the time

best 2 ways not to lock up your brakes...
1. learn the propper way to brake
2. get better tires. Brake lock up is when the traction of the brakes is greater than the traction of the tires
Old 09-15-2006, 12:36 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Old_Smokey

i can agree with you there it would probably be alot more trouble than its worth but I bet when you have to make a sudden stop and your tires lock ( i.e. no ABS) and slam someone who decides to be a jerkoff and cut you off or what not your gonna wish you put that ABS in . As anyone can say its not just how fast you can go but to be able to stop it [:'(]
Learn to pump the brake, I've never owned a car with abs and have never rear ended someone. As twister said better tires will make it harder to lock you brakes. If you have skinnies up front they are easy to lock. Larger tires are harder to lock in the most part.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:22 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

ORIGINAL: Old_Smokey

Learn to pump the brake, I've never owned a car with abs and have never rear ended someone. As twister said better tires will make it harder to lock you brakes. If you have skinnies up front they are easy to lock. Larger tires are harder to lock in the most part.
pump? nah, just let off a little to let them roll again
Old 09-15-2006, 01:28 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: TBird232ci

Dont mess with the ABS. Its so involved its not funny. All 4 wheels have sensors, a big wiring harness setup, a computer, and so much other BS that its really more work than its worth. Youd also need a totally different master cylinder, that if it fails, would cost you about 1500 bucks for a reman unit. Dont bother with it, its crappy.
+100
the cost and labor involved is just not going to be worth it.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:12 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i was thinking about pirating all the stuff off of a lincoln mark7 they came with the abs system ans the brake system should bolt in would just have to figure out the wiring

Quick Reply: ABS in a 87