5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Catted XPipe.... very unhappy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Old_Smokey
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Catted XPipe.... very unhappy.

Hehe on my 88 I was swapping the mufflers and before I put the new ones on I started the car with just the X-pipe. Holy **** I fell in love it was so out of control loud that I had to take it out onto the street for a few mins and I swear I must have turned so many heads. Sickly enough, usually with such a cut in backpressure it sounds like a piece of garbage but it sounded like I had side pipes on this bad boy. I kept it like that for about 3 weeks and even got pulled over for a stop sign and the cop didnt even bat an eye. I guess you can say you win some you lose some.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:33 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93Mustang5.0

ORIGINAL: mrbigshot

it will sound like ***. i hope cops are relentless with you every time you drive it. people like you are the reason its illegal to use high flowing mufflers.

thanks,

you really belong in the ricer crowd, thats exactually what they do, they run straight pipe to make it louder.

no, what it is is that you my friend, are a dick. so thanks for posting a useless post.

for one, i am not trying to have a car that shakes the ground. i just want my old flowmaster sound back. right now it sounds like a v6 with an aftermarket exhaust on it.

take your useless posts somewhere else.

thanks

Now he wasnt completly useless he does have a point. If you run just straight pipe it will not be much louder but will sound like garbage Trust me IVE done it and had mufflers back on it within a week bc it doesnt sound like much of anything. If you want your flowmaster sound back you should have gotten test pipes put in your H pipe that way when inspection comes around you just slip the cats in then get it inspected and when it passes you just take them back out.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:42 AM
OneFine89Mustang
4th Gear Member

replace the flows with glasspacks
Old 09-15-2006, 01:06 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

ive heard a stang with no mufflers...just straight pipes. it was modded and actually didnt sound good for a modded 5.0

it was loud and could set car alarms off but it had no throat and no deepness which the flows are infamous for.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:34 AM
B
2nd Gear Member

Muahahaha... all i have to do is go to this place in the southside of my city and they dont give a sh*t...

but yah.. bout that guy getting all bent out of shape about the loudness...

Its sometimes good to keep quiet when the words you type are rude.

oh yah.. might as well have ur exhuast system stock.... huh?
Old 09-15-2006, 02:20 AM
Unknown
2nd Gear Member

i have cats only on my car and it is way tooo loud, bought it that way. Side exhaust too so it is sexy but if you want loud just take the mufflers off. It sets car alarms off in the garage at my school
Old 09-15-2006, 02:32 AM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

im for loud good sounding exaust on a built motor. i am against stock cars with open exaust as it sounds like ****, same with rappy *** glasspacks. when i was a teen i thought it was cool, now that im older i have realized it is not.

its the straight pipes, imports, and those who dont care that are causing the feds to crack down on aftermarket exaust systems, there is always leglistration going on in various states that will outlaw any change to your exaust. keep it civil and our children might just have the same privlages as we do. stop caring about what others think and you can kiss those privlages goodbye. do you want to **** off the cops or locals enough to make it manditory that all law enforcment officials carry a db meter and check to see if you exceed the federal limit of 91db? a stock stang is around 89db. i dont know of any performance exausts that will comply with the 91db rule.

it has already happened to motorcycles, snowmobile, and atv's. why do you think most race tracks now require mufflers of some sort? our hobby could be next.

you can make any exaust system louder by increasing the size of the pipe used. a 3" exaust system is roughly twice as loud as a system that is 2.5". you can still use mufflers to get the tone you want and make it sound like it did before, by running straight pipe you wont get that sound you are looking for.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:54 AM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

Does your state do emissions test or just visual inspection? I had the same problem. What I did was buy a cat H pipe, cut the cats open gut them and weld a pipe straight through the middle. I had my off road pipe and Flowmaster sound back and still passed inspection. In my state we only have a visual inspection though. I aggree with mrbigshot I like open exhaust or Bullet mufflers on a car with some compression and a big cam, not on a stock 5.0.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:01 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

get a hold of a stock h pipe with 4 cats and working o2 sensors and buy a tuned cat back, this way when inspection time rolls around if your capable of changing 8 bolts and the egr connection you'll be emissions legal, then afterwards you can go home and change back to an off road mid pipe... just my opinion and dont call me a dick! Mr. Bigshot's given tons of good advice and tech info on this forum so a lil respect for his opinion is due....
Old 09-15-2006, 10:34 AM
BlackMustang02GT
4th Gear Member

actually you really do need mufflers for the backpressure (in other words for take off you need somthing to push you) cut this and cut that with none of this i think is pretty useless, but to each his own you cant tell unless you experiment with what youve got. but not for anything guys stop with the flowmasters im fed up of EVERY MUSTANG with flowmasters, but none the less they do give that nice deep throaty sound with i like but everyone has em. make somthing up and post us a clip!