5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Catted XPipe.... very unhappy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 07:07 PM
93Mustang5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default Catted XPipe.... very unhappy.

Well I failed inspection about 2 months ago, and finally I got my part yesterday installed. Its a PYPES Xpipe with high flow cats. Probably the highest flowing you can get without gutting them. So I have them installed on my stang. I also have dual flowmasters, 2 1/2 in. Well my car is honestly about 45% quieter now and I HATE IT. That was one thing I loved about my car was its distinct sound. Now it sounds almost like a V6 with aftermarket exhaust... I was thinking about cutting off my flows and just running a 2 1/2 in pipe instead but im worried to find out actually how loud that will be. The flows that are on the car are pretty old and one of them has a slight leak on the top. I just am really confused onto what to do. If I got pulled with no mufflers it would cost me a ticket. Give me some ideas! Would a new exhaust make it louder? Or will any exhaust just sound the same with the cats on.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 07:13 PM
wht90lx
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Catted XPipe.... very unhappy.

I have a catted x pipe also what i did was have my exhaust dumped under the car for the time being. If your state allows you to do this it does sound good. I have also heard stright through muffler types work better with an x pipe than the chambered type.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93Mustang5.0

Well I failed inspection about 2 months ago, and finally I got my part yesterday installed. Its a PYPES Xpipe with high flow cats. Probably the highest flowing you can get without gutting them. So I have them installed on my stang. I also have dual flowmasters, 2 1/2 in. Well my car is honestly about 45% quieter now and I HATE IT. That was one thing I loved about my car was its distinct sound. Now it sounds almost like a V6 with aftermarket exhaust... I was thinking about cutting off my flows and just running a 2 1/2 in pipe instead but im worried to find out actually how loud that will be. The flows that are on the car are pretty old and one of them has a slight leak on the top. I just am really confused onto what to do. If I got pulled with no mufflers it would cost me a ticket. Give me some ideas! Would a new exhaust make it louder? Or will any exhaust just sound the same with the cats on.

Thanks

Why won't you just add your h pipe once your done getting your car inspected and keep your X pipe with cats for another inspection needed.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:29 PM
93Mustang5.0
2nd Gear Member

well, i just am worried that it will sound like crap if i just run pipes... i feel like theres no options to get my sound back.

the hpipe that was on it was old, but i loved the sound. one of my o2s wouldnt come out so the pipe was garbage... plus i am glad that i didnt install it, because they had to cut into my mufflers to fit the xpipe on there.

i think i am going to fully take off the mufflers and customize the pipes.

after the cats i want to run a straight pipe, then curve up over the axle, and back down into a gt style pipe..... so pretty much the same except without mufflers.

do you guys think that this will sound cheap??
Old 09-14-2006, 09:11 PM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

it will sound like ***. i hope cops are relentless with you every time you drive it. people like you are the reason its illegal to use high flowing mufflers.

thanks,

you really belong in the ricer crowd, thats exactually what they do, they run straight pipe to make it louder.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:19 PM
leadfootdriver
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mrbigshot

it will sound like ***. i hope cops are relentless with you every time you drive it. people like you are the reason its illegal to use high flowing mufflers.

thanks,

you really belong in the ricer crowd, thats exactually what they do, they run straight pipe to make it louder.

I'm with you.

What's the facination with a car being loud??? It makes you look like a punk, and it makes you an easy target for cops and ignorant kids that will key your paintjob. YOu can't take out a girl without having to yell over the exhaust, and your head buzzes everytime you get out of the car... Can you say hearing damage?

I can't wait for the day that I have about 700 horse power in a car thats almost factory quiet.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:29 PM
93Mustang5.0
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mrbigshot

thanks,

no, what it is is that you my friend, are a dick. so thanks for posting a useless post.

for one, i am not trying to have a car that shakes the ground. i just want my old flowmaster sound back. right now it sounds like a v6 with an aftermarket exhaust on it.

take your useless posts somewhere else.

thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 10:33 PM
93Mustang5.0
2nd Gear Member

Once again, I'm not looking for a car that is so loud that I cant hear myself speak. My old exhaust was just right, it was sound at idle, then once you started accelerating it was a nice deep sound.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:40 PM
red50stang
2nd Gear Member

You're probably not going to like this, but the only way that you're going to get that sound back is put the x pipe back on, I know you said that it was garbage, but buy a new one and you'll get the sound back and not have to worry about it. And if you really want to do it right just have your exhaust redone and put the xpipe on and switch it out for emissions only. I know that it is an expensive alternative but it's the best way, you know it's quality and it will last. Cutting corners is how s**t breaks. I mean unless you want something to happen and your car catch on fire. And as far as the x pipe(or H pipe) goes a cop won't pull you over because he suspects that you don't have cats but he will pull you over if you don't have mufflers, or you have a ****ty exhaust and he feels he has a reason to pull you over. But that's just my opinion, not to be a dick.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:11 PM
taurus gt man
1st Gear Member

Couldnt you also just put glasspacksin place of the mufflers or would it be too loud? I havent worked with V8 exhaust yet but on a V6it would equal it out. Chris

Quick Reply: Catted XPipe.... very unhappy.