5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

351 swap speed density..will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 11:24 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 351 swap speed density..will it work?

ORIGINAL: r.barn

Speed density computer will have all kinds of problems with the extra cubes
since it doesnt actaully read how much air is coming in like an MAF, but figures it out thru set tables it checks against in memory.

Get a used EEC off ebay, they're on there cheap all the time.

or just switch to carb set-up to keep it cheap and dump the computer all together.
Now that would be the cheap way out and get rid of a lot of clutter in your engine bay!
Intake would be like 270ish? and a 600 vac secondary carb would be aboot 280 and thats brand new you never know what you can find at a swap meet. and if your going windsor you miight have to get a new hood for the clearance.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:15 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

SD will work well too, but requires a tune to run right. A MAF car won't need a tune to run right, but you would gain alot of power by getting one. MAF is a good investment because you can change parts on your car & not have to worry about it running rough whereas a SD equipped car will need a tune to run right. You should see what just an intake did to my friends SD '88. It still has SOME power at wot & won't idle right. He did get a tune though & 3 months later decided to swap the cam. Another drop in power & it wouldn't idle. SD is a pita, but will work good if you get a tune.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:45 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

ORIGINAL: vristang

Why the desire to stay SD?
$$

I understand MAF would be better and will most likely switch, just checking out my opitions.
I would hit the yards looking for a MAF computer and MAF meter.
This site has a good list of MAF computers...
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=17
You should be able to find one for about $100, maybe $150.
The X3Z is not as performance oriented as the A9*, and limits the selection of stock MAF/MAS combos you can run. Stay away from the Cobra computer.

For the MAF you can get a 55mm MAF with a "F1ZF" MAS. (The MAS is the black sensor box) This MAF was stock on the 5.0HO Mustang, 3.8(?) Taurus, and 92-94 Crown Vic.
OR
Find a 70mm MAF from a 94-95 Mustang (v6 or v8). This MAF will have a "F2VF" MAS, and was also used on the 95 Cobra.

The MAF should be about $25 or so, complete with MAS and sensor harness.
The above are the ONLY Ford MAF meters that will work with an A9* computer and 19lb injectors. If you change the injectors or computer, these MAF's may not work.

At this point I think you will need to run some wires for the MAF, and possibly repin a few other connections on the EEC-IV harness.
I have not done the MAF conversion myself, so look for confirmation on this.
Do some searches on MAF conversion, and you should find all the details?

That is the route I would take.
jason
Old 09-15-2006, 12:59 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Is the MAS the black box on the firewall with the vacume line hooked to it? I will have to replace thar along with the MAF and a computer....I will do some research on the conversion, thanks Jason.

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

SD will work well too, but requires a tune to run right. A MAF car won't need a tune to run right, but you would gain alot of power by getting one. MAF is a good investment because you can change parts on your car & not have to worry about it running rough whereas a SD equipped car will need a tune to run right. You should see what just an intake did to my friends SD '88. It still has SOME power at wot & won't idle right. He did get a tune though & 3 months later decided to swap the cam. Another drop in power & it wouldn't idle. SD is a pita, but will work good if you get a tune
I was told that you couldn't "tune" speed density. I may have to contact my local speed shop and see what they say, thanks
Old 09-15-2006, 01:15 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger
I was told that you couldn't "tune" speed density. I may have to contact my local speed shop and see what they say, thanks
you can, most speed shops cant
Old 09-15-2006, 01:32 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Sorry bout not being clear.

The MAS is the Mass Air Sensor. It is mounted to the Mass Air Tube with 2 screws.
If your car is SD now, you won't have one.

jason
Old 09-15-2006, 01:42 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

19#er's will not be enough....
Old 09-19-2006, 12:51 AM
outlaw343

just from the research I have done - you are gonna be waaaay better off to go carb. besides the headache of the wiring and different computer - then you are gonna have the cost of getting the right mass air flow sensor,injectors,throttle body, if it was me - a nice new cold air intake,plus the cost of a new intake...by the time you add all of that all up and involve your time and labor - I think most will agree a carb and intake makes much more sense - especially for a windsor swap. Just my personal opinion but I think it will look just as nice too as long as its done right
Old 09-19-2006, 01:09 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: outlaw343

just from the research I have done - you are gonna be waaaay better off to go carb. besides the headache of the wiring and different computer - then you are gonna have the cost of getting the right mass air flow sensor,injectors,throttle body, if it was me - a nice new cold air intake,plus the cost of a new intake...by the time you add all of that all up and involve your time and labor - I think most will agree a carb and intake makes much more sense - especially for a windsor swap. Just my personal opinion but I think it will look just as nice too as long as its done right
I understand your points...

But...

I would never agree that switching over to carb "makes much more sense"

The MPG, drivability, and emissions benefits are far too great with efi.

Just my thoughts.
I am sure others will disagree.

jason
Old 09-19-2006, 01:58 AM
MIKE86
1st Gear Member

you can make plenty of power with sd..take a look at all those mustang mags just about every big horse dyno motor they run is sd...you just have to watch came selection a little closer because sd cars need vacum at idle..if you are going to run a big cam wich i have an fms e cam just run a vaucm can ...