5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

The Hood Took Flight.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 11:02 PM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default The Hood Took Flight.

For the second time in my mustangs lifespan the hood flew open ill get pictures on here tomorow but it looks brutal the hood's now blue and i finally bought hood pins...
The cowl is destroyed. Its bent so bad i could use it for a half pipe for my tech deck. The next hood will have to be a liftoff but i was wondering if there was a cowl hood that stretched back far enough to cover up the whole cowl?

And how hard is it to dremel out the hood cowl do you need to remove the windshield?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:06 PM
Blue Oval
4th Gear Member

Default RE: The Hood Took Flight.

heres a lift off hood by cervinis, dont know about your 2nd question

i guess i should get hoodpins too before my luck runs out
Old 09-15-2006, 11:12 PM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Yea it was bouncin around at about 60 then WHAM scariest moment in my life stuck my head out the window ace ventura style and pulled off to the side of the road and broke my hand when i walked outside and saw the damage.

Anybody remove their cowl before with a little tuturial for me? My new windshield is in and my awful looking hood (blue hood, white car) is hoodpinned.
And the cowl is getting rusted in numerous spots where the indentations were made, its hideous.
What would you do?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:21 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

So you didn't learn from the first time?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:29 PM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

PRO50SC
So you didn't learn from the first time?
well the previous owner had the hood fly open. I agreed with what you said in another post that re adjusting the latch was the way to go, which is what i did. My cars too slow for hood pins A high 14 second mustang doensnt need pins in my opinion. Only problem was the safety latch didnt work. I added oil and didnt close the hood all the way. Biggest mistake i ever made with that car.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:32 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

That sucks, never had that problem and hope not to. I'm a hard head and hood pins are not an option!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 11:48 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Man I dont have any idea what my track times would be, but I wanted them on the aftermarket hood just for safety sake. Sorry to hear about your hood. How did you break your hand?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:55 PM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

I took a look at the damage as i walked outside the car, the dents in the roof, the cowl panel totally bent, hood mangled, and the black wiper grate/cowl was destoyed. I then punched the hood as hard as I possibly could. I unbolted it and left the mangled hood behind a wawa and drove the whole weekend without it, i can fix the roof what do i do with the mangled cowl that's welded in?
Old 09-16-2006, 04:32 AM
Dubs1
2nd Gear Member

Man that sucks. Im gonna take this as a lesson from you man. To date I still have not put on my hood pins. I have a 3 inch cowl hood and every time I drive I see that hood bouncing around. I know it's latched on, but still I guess you can never trust that latch. I have a set of hood pins I picked but it's sitting around. I need to get them on. Hope all works out for you man. Good luck!

ORIGINAL: whiteout 5.0

For the second time in my mustangs lifespan the hood flew open ill get pictures on here tomorow but it looks brutal the hood's now blue and i finally bought hood pins...
The cowl is destroyed. Its bent so bad i could use it for a half pipe for my tech deck. The next hood will have to be a liftoff but i was wondering if there was a cowl hood that stretched back far enough to cover up the whole cowl?

And how hard is it to dremel out the hood cowl do you need to remove the windshield?
Old 09-16-2006, 04:52 AM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: whiteout 5.0 stuck my head out the window ace ventura style
LMAO!

Quick Reply: The Hood Took Flight.