5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Another Sad Day

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 10:38 PM
jzgt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Another Sad Day

If you have coolant in the #2 cylinder, it's not a result of air in the cooling system. The only thing air in the cooling system would do is cause the car to run a little hot and or screw your gauge reading up due to the steam reading higher than the coolant.

As Pony Guy says, you could get a block tester to see if you have an issue with the block but a compression tester could tell you where the problem is as well. Granted, it won't tell you if there's a crack in your block except to tell you that the cylinder isn't sealing. But it would tell you if there's a breach from one cylinder to the next. But if you have coolant in the cylinder, it got there from the water jacket. There's really only a few ways that can happen -- either your block has a crack in it (could happen if you machine a 302 too thin), you have a head gasket breach or your intake is cracked. I'd look at and test for the obvious -- a blown head gasket.

- Jeff
Old 09-16-2006, 11:55 PM
blazinyellowbeast
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the help again guys, I will probably go over to the shop in the morning start on it.

The thing with the air in the cooling system was that my temp gauge was only reading about halfway, I didn't know if the gauge was messed up or if the car was really not running that hot. But the coolant was bubbling in the over flow tank, my friend said if could be the exhaust coming back though to the radiator. Like I said, I have never heard of this. I was thinking maybe I should put an aftermarket gauge in just to make sure (jzgt).
Old 09-17-2006, 12:26 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

run the car with the cap off the radiator to get the bubbles out
Old 09-17-2006, 12:41 AM
jzgt
2nd Gear Member

I'd recommend an aftermarket gauge for sure. If the car was overheating, it could have caused the HG issue. Maybe your thermostat failed and the car was overheating while your friend was driving it. The temp gauge will do funny things when the head gasket is blown as you could have steam (exhaust & coolant) in the cooling system and the gauge will go up and down rapidly until you get low on coolant and then it'll just run up and peg.

Basically, the heat is supposed to be taken away from the metal at the surfaces of the various water jackets and if you run out of coolant in that area or the steam causes the coolant to lose contact with the metal, it could cause HG issues due to too much heat.

- Jeff
Old 09-19-2006, 01:59 PM
blazinyellowbeast
2nd Gear Member

Ahh, I think I found the problem! Some pics.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47555/13BEF3BE754D4DD19860D3AAA83C3526.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47555/3621DAA895E44AB7AB17DDD8D42577A3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47555/EEA6DAB9BCC64CA2BD9C689DB4B5F11B.jpg[/IMG]

I was told I should have the heads Magnafluxed before I put them back on. I think its gonna be about $100 a side, is this worth it? I'm also gonna check around some more about porting and polishing, but unless I can find a good deal I doubt I'll get it done.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:53 PM
blazinyellowbeast
2nd Gear Member

Anyone know how much HP you can get from Port and Polish Job? I know each machine shop will do it a little different, just looking for a basic number.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jzgt

If you have coolant in the #2 cylinder, it's not a result of air in the cooling system. The only thing air in the cooling system would do is cause the car to run a little hot and or screw your gauge reading up due to the steam reading higher than the coolant.

As Pony Guy says, you could get a block tester to see if you have an issue with the block but a compression tester could tell you where the problem is as well. Granted, it won't tell you if there's a crack in your block except to tell you that the cylinder isn't sealing. But it would tell you if there's a breach from one cylinder to the next. But if you have coolant in the cylinder, it got there from the water jacket. There's really only a few ways that can happen -- either your block has a crack in it (could happen if you machine a 302 too thin), you have a head gasket breach or your intake is cracked. I'd look at and test for the obvious -- a blown head gasket.

- Jeff
+1. And well-stated.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93 LX FiveO

run the car with the cap off the radiator to get the bubbles out
Old 09-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blazinyellowbeast

Ahh, I think I found the problem! Some pics.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47555/13BEF3BE754D4DD19860D3AAA83C3526.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47555/3621DAA895E44AB7AB17DDD8D42577A3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47555/EEA6DAB9BCC64CA2BD9C689DB4B5F11B.jpg[/IMG]

I was told I should have the heads Magnafluxed before I put them back on. I think its gonna be about $100 a side, is this worth it? I'm also gonna check around some more about porting and polishing, but unless I can find a good deal I doubt I'll get it done.
Glad you figured it out. I always wonder what causes some headgaskets to blow, while others last for 250k miles. What's up with that?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:54 PM
blazinyellowbeast
2nd Gear Member

Red CA 1988 GT
Factory sunroof/Five speed like a mug, Flowmasters, Hypertech chip sticker, Centerline rims, and 3.55s.

Haha, I love that. Thats hilarious. What are you pushing, 450RWHP (in tuner math?)

Quick Reply: Another Sad Day