5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

90 Lx vs civic???

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 04:26 AM
bacon
3rd Gear Member

Default 90 Lx vs civic???

a guy I work with has a civic with some mods and wont shut up about it...he started to rag on mustangs and challenged me to race...I have a stock 90 Lx 5.0 is that enough to beat him or should I wait and get a few mods first...I plan on getting a few mods when I get off this deployment at the end of the month...I really want to shut him up...its quite annoying to hear him talk about imports all the time...
Old 07-12-2004, 07:49 AM
bacon
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 90 Lx vs civic???

he's got a super charger inhis civic I will have 2G to spend on the stang when I get home...what can I get with 2G to make it faster?
Old 07-12-2004, 11:35 AM
89vertgt
1st Gear Member

he has a supercharged 4 cyl? LOL ROFLMAO...interesting......um...I would say with 2K your best bet would be buy a supercharger
Old 07-12-2004, 06:53 PM
DanHS
1st Gear Member

Find out how much power his car makes, and don't take his word for it, research to see what that supercharger does for that engine, then compare the power to weight ratios of the two cars. I think you can make it up to around 200hp with a civic, but I don't know much about tuners except that most of them sound like lawnmowers. A stock mustang puts about 200hp to the wheels, so a 200hp civic would beat a stock mustang because it weighs much less. If you have a supercharger and make nearly 300hp, I think you have a chance. Don't race anywhere where you might run into cops or hit someone of course. That's my relatively inexperienced advice anyway.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:25 PM
bacon
3rd Gear Member

a mutual friend we have told me today that he's pushing close to 200 hp in the civic so I definitely have to make some adjustments...thanks for your inputs...I want to smoke check this chump...we have a few places that are pretty secluded from people and cops in the area
Old 07-12-2004, 07:31 PM
1hot88drop50
2nd Gear Member

my old nieghbor had a 98 hatchback civic w/a B16 motor and a supercharger... needless to say he ran a 13.7 on street tires. those ricers are pretty tough if they have the right stuff done to 'em. U say your stang is stock.. is that just the engine or is that also the exhuast? If the exhaust is stock then you will need to get you a set of headers and an offraod X or H pipe. That should be close to 400$. the next thing you should do is get a set of 3.73 gears. Parts run about 125-150$. Gears alone will make u feel every mod u do a little more. Next, get a cold air intake w/a fenderwall mount. runs about 150$. Advance your timing to 13degs. now that should leave you with about 1200$ or so if you pay to have gears put in. And if I was you I think I would go with a nice little N20 shot. Not sure to much about the specifics on the N20 but im sure u can use the rest or the budget to get everything you need for your new N20 setup. This and driving your stang like you stole the faq-er will probably give you your best chance if that ricer is at say 200 Hp. Oh yeah!! take your front passenger and back seat out and dont eat the whole day you are going to be running 'em! lol hope that helps... now lets see what others have to say about this and what combinations they offer for a 2000$ upgrade to cook some rice!!!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:58 PM
MotoArts91GT

2 Grand? ...hmmm... i'd say your cheapest and best bet is $30 for a swiss army knife. Have a buddy of yours go out to the civic during his lunchbreak and slash the right rear tire on the day u tell the kid u wanna race. He'd never look at the right rear...who walks a loop around their car every time b4 they get in? He'd never know! Besides, the punk probably has 18's and a 4" drop, so one down tire would look normal! If he DOES find out, u can laugh when he tries to drag you on a donut!!![sm=lol.gif]

JK!!!!
Old 07-12-2004, 11:06 PM
bacon
3rd Gear Member

HAHAlmfao
Old 07-13-2004, 12:24 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

For the $2K you say you have, I would go with some equal length shorty headers, off road H or X pipe, and a 2-1/2" cat back exhaust system with Flowmaster mufflers. Then put some new gears in the rear end, 3.73 if an automatic or 3.55 if a stick shift. A computer chip like Hypertech or Superchips will improve the HP overall for about $250. If you ain't already done so, remove the inlet air silencer and install a K&N air filter. A 65 mm throttle body and EGR spacer will get some more air into the motor to take advantage of the freer flowing exhaust also. Then get rid of any excess weight in the car that you don't need to carry around all the time like the spare tire and jack, rear seats, etc.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:27 PM
1hot88drop50
2nd Gear Member

Do u think a stocker stang with exhaust, gears, a K&N, and a chip will be able to take a 200 Hp Supercharged rice rocket? Umm.. I think you better be one hell of a driver. Instead of the chip dont u think he will get better performance by spending a extra 100$ or so and getting a Tweecer tuner? That way he can get his car dialed in and also have street/strip/for smog settings. I would say yes to the exhaust and gears (like i mentioned in a previous post) but a programable tuner would be better served if he plans on adding more mods in the future so that he doesnt have to send the chip in to get re-burned at 80$ a pop each time. A nice crane cam or even an E or X cam would probably do you good along with a set of roller rocker arms. But seriously if you want to not take any chances on getting smoked by this rice cooker... N20 will leave no questions unanswered as to whos car kicks the most ***..

Quick Reply: 90 Lx vs civic???