5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

where to buy heat ristant material?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 03:23 PM
LX 5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default where to buy heat ristant material?

I am getting equal length BBK headers installed shortely. I herd that I am going to need to protect my plug wires. Where do I find such material to rap the wires in efficiently?
Old 09-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: where to buy heat ristant material?

Summit, Jegs, FRPP, the usual suspects...
Old 09-18-2006, 03:40 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Archion

Yeah, what he said. You could either buy some header wrap and wrap the headers thenselves. Or you can buy the plug wire sleeves. I have the sleeves but an planning on wrapping the headers at a later date.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:50 PM
91stang
4th Gear Member

a lot of people on here says that the header wrap made their headers rust faster or something like that
Old 09-18-2006, 04:05 PM
LX 5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4fit?

ORIGINAL: Archion

Yeah, what he said. You could either buy some header wrap and wrap the headers thenselves. Or you can buy the plug wire sleeves. I have the sleeves but an planning on wrapping the headers at a later date.
Whats your reason for wanting to rap the headers? do the wire sleeves last a long time?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:14 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Absolutely do not do this, when the exhaust system cools and the heat flashes off it prevents condensation inside the exhaust when you wrap them the heat condensates as it cools and results in moisture and the headers will rot from the inside out, not to mention it looks like crap... did u buy ceramic coated headers.... if not you should have but summit or jegs have the wire wrap, i used wire looms and have had no problems with my headers heat dissappation...
Old 09-18-2006, 04:22 PM
LX 5.0
3rd Gear Member

I got ceramic. How long will the wires last if I don't rap them? How many wires will I acctually need to rap?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:26 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

if you got ceramic dont wrap anything, i have bbk equal length ceramic shorties and have had ford 9mm wires for 2 years and they have no discoloring or warping or any heat marks, they look brand new and function great.... buy some cheap wire loomd for the dia. plug wires you buy and run them to the distributor without touching the headers... its cheaper cleaner and more professional looking while being just as good if not better
Old 09-18-2006, 04:36 PM
LX 5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

if you got ceramic dont wrap anything, i have bbk equal length ceramic shorties and have had ford 9mm wires for 2 years and they have no discoloring or warping or any heat marks, they look brand new and function great.... buy some cheap wire loomd for the dia. plug wires you buy and run them to the distributor without touching the headers... its cheaper cleaner and more professional looking while being just as good if not better
Good to knows! Not sure I I understand your last few sentences. Are you saing put the wires in a zip tie or something like that?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:44 PM
94Cobrakid16
3rd Gear Member

ive had my equal lengths and taylor pro spiral wires for a while and my wires are fine.

edit: my headers are ceramic coated.

Quick Reply: where to buy heat ristant material?