5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What makes a mustang sound best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:24 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: What makes a mustang sound best?

ORIGINAL: 85_HO_GT

a ricer with a fart canon trying to keep up!
Hahahahahahahahahaha, that was a good one!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 08:26 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

Did you come up with that name yourself MrMainEvent?

What does this have to do with mustang sounds??
Old 09-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WLingle92lx

Better heads will make the car sound different in two ways.

1. The exhaust ports are MUCH bigger than stock which allows more exhaust to flow thru it.
2. Stock heads have 64cc compbustion chambers. Most aftermarket heads are anywhere from 61 to 58cc's which will raise the compression ration quit a bit. This will give you that pounding and pinging in the header tubes which sounds DAMN COOL!

Thanks for that explanation. I've always thought that aftermarket heads would make a motor sound better, but wasn't sure.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:32 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

I tell you that a 347 stoker with a much larger cam and afr 185 heads dramatically changed the sound. Much throatier and louder. And it still needs LTs and a better cat back.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:34 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

For reference, this is my car a while back with stock heads, stock intake, B cam, 2 chamber flows, 1 5/8" el headers, and off road H. Think it sounds damn good myself.
http://4fit.mustangsofburlington.com.../MyExhaust.wmv
Old 09-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4fit?

For reference, this is my car a while back with stock heads, stock intake, B cam, 2 chamber flows, 1 5/8" el headers, and off road H. Think it sounds damn good myself.
http://4fit.mustangsofburlington.com.../MyExhaust.wmv
That thing sounded awesome, 4fit. So the cam and exhaust were the only real mods at the time?

Also, did you feel any improvement in performance from that cam on a stock motor?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:41 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted
That thing sounded awesome, 4fit. So the cam and exhaust were the only real mods at the time?

Also, did you feel any improvement in performance from that cam on a stock motor?
Thanks bro. Still sounds the same. Only added a Cobra intake since then, plus all kinds of suspension shiz. The B cam was in there when I got the car, but it definetely felt better than other 5.0s I've driven with similar mods minus the cam.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Thanks bro. Still sounds the same. Only added a Cobra intake since then, plus all kinds of suspension shiz. The B cam was in there when I got the car, but it definetely felt better than other 5.0s I've driven with similar mods minus the cam.
Fair enough. Thanks for the info. I still suspect that my car may have a cam, as it doesn't idle quite right, and runs better than other Mustangs I've driven. How did you figure out what kind of cam was in there?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:32 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

Fair enough. Thanks for the info. I still suspect that my car may have a cam, as it doesn't idle quite right, and runs better than other Mustangs I've driven. How did you figure out what kind of cam was in there?
Previous owner. I received a list of all of the mods before I even went to look at the car.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Previous owner. I received a list of all of the mods before I even went to look at the car.
Double post. Sorry.

Quick Reply: What makes a mustang sound best?