5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

mustangs cranking but not starting :( need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 06:02 PM
mattkoly
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: mustangs cranking but not starting :( need help

I have had experience like this and it ended up being the ignition module that's attached to the outside of distributor, If you have a napa or parts store like that they can test it out for you, just need to remove it and take it in.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:07 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

check the fuel filter as well maybe clogged but unlikely seeing how it happened when the car idled down....
Old 09-20-2006, 03:45 AM
Hung Like a Stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattkoly

I have had experience like this and it ended up being the ignition module that's attached to the outside of distributor, If you have a napa or parts store like that they can test it out for you, just need to remove it and take it in.

+1. Mine just died when I was going down the road.

However, It could be the whol dizzy. Do an injector pulse test to find out if its your dizzy.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:43 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

no, get a can of starting fluid spray for 3 bucks, have someone crank and you spray the fluid in the throttle body and maybe it will start, .

If so, replace the fuel pump, fuel pump strainer, fuel pump filter and fuel pressure regualator.

If not, you have a spark issue, take a plug wire off, touch it to your ac compressor or ground and turn it over and see for spark, if you see it, take your plugs out , they probally are shot and just replace them.

IF YOUR PLUGS, FUEL PUMP, AND YOU HAVE SPARK, YOUR CATALYIC CONVERTERS ARE SHOT!

TAKE YOUR 02 SENSORS OUT AND IT WILL START RIGHT UP AND BLOW A BUNCH OF MESS RIGHT OUT THE HOLE
Old 09-20-2006, 05:52 PM
MEM 302 5.0L
3rd Gear Member

something like that happened to me and it ended up just being the battery not hooked up tightly.....
Old 09-21-2006, 12:20 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

You will have to do a little diagnosing to find where the problem is.
His battery isn't the problem. If it was then it wouldn't be cranking over at all.

Fuel & spark. Check to see if your spark plugs are firing. Try to find a spare spark plug laying around. Or buy another one (best option since you will know it's gapped right). Take one of your plug wires off & put the spare plug in it, then ground one side of it (put the hook part on a grounded part of the car, like the frame) then either you or your friend can crank it over & the other person can check to see if it's firing. If it's firing then there's a 99% chance the problem is in your fuel system.

First off. Try to get a fuel pressure tester from a friend, have a shop test it, or you can buy one for around $30. I'd advise buying one they are a very handy tool to have.
Hook it up, turn the key to the on position ONE TIME & leave it in the on position. Watch the gauge it should shoot up to 30-45psi. If not then you DO have a problem in your fuel system somewhere. Keep the gauge on & turn it to the on position then back to accessory 5 times to see if it will build a little pressure (sometimes it will even get high enough to hit the normal amount) If it does this then it could mean somewhere your fuel line has been smashed making it hard for fuel to get through, your fuel pump is getting very weak, or something big got caught in your filter. If this happens Check the lines first as it free to do, make sure the lines are all fine. If they are then there is a good chance your pump is bad.
A clogged fuel filter doesn't make a car just stop completely all of the sudden unless something BIG got into your tank.

I think your problem is somewhere in the ignition somewhere both the coil & the ignition control module are good places to start. It's more prone to SUDDEN failure than your fuel system. A fuel pump ususally weakens over time not just stop all of the sudden, but it CAN so you can't rule that out.