5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

knock sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 06:40 PM
jockoal

Default knock sensor question

I HAVE A NEW ENGINE,306 WITH AOD IN 1987 MUSTANG..MY PROBLEM IS THAT THE ENGINE NEVER PINGS AND HAS POOR PERFORMANCE, EXPECIALLY IN THIRD GEAR AND OVERDRIVE..I HAVE CHECKED AND RECHECKED, AND RESET EVERTHING MANY TIMES AND STILL POOR UPPER RPM POWER.. I NOTICED FINALLY THAT THE KNOCK SENSOR SEEMS NOT TO HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO NEW ENGINE..DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE CPU RETARDS TIMING IF SENSOR DISCONNECTED??? I FIND NO OTHER SENSOR PROBLEM AND MOST COMPONENTS ARE NEW..ANY INPUT WOULD BE HELPFUL..THANKS: AL
Old 09-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: knock sensor question

FYI.....Mustang 5.0L engines/EEC-IV do not have/use a knock sensor. 5.0L engines that use a KS are the truck/van setups.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:22 PM
jockoal

THE 1987 MUSTANG 5.0 EFI'S DID USE KNOCK SENSORS, THE STANDARD PART # IS SIKS13..
Old 09-19-2006, 11:24 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

I was under the impression no knock sensor is used, since I wanted to know about timing gears once, but it said "Not for use on vehicles with knock sensors" so I asked on a board and they confirmed 5.0 do not use knock.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:15 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Could you show me where?

or look at the ECM pinout tables now....a '87 4 cyl. engine Mustang....sure!...

or check the table of the EEC-IV systems it is used on at http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=34
Old 09-20-2006, 01:36 AM
jockoal

I DONT KNOW WHERE IT IS LOCATED, I HAVE YET TO LOCATE..I HAVE CHECKED WITH SEVERAL AUTO SUPPLY STORES, EACH INDICATING THAT A KNOCK SENSOR IS USED ON 1987 EFI 5.0 H.O. WITH AOD...I HAVE NOT HAD TIME TO LOCATE YET..I WILL LET YOUKNOW IF AND WHEN I LOCATE..I HAVE ALSO BEEN ON THE INTERNET AND HAVE FOUND SEVERAL SITES SELLING THE SENSOR.. JUST GOOGLE KNOCK SENSORS AND SEVERAL SITES WILL APPEAR....AL
Old 09-20-2006, 01:37 AM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

ive heard of really loud timing chains setting off knock senors.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jockoal

I DONT KNOW WHERE IT IS LOCATED, I HAVE YET TO LOCATE..I HAVE CHECKED WITH SEVERAL AUTO SUPPLY STORES, EACH INDICATING THAT A KNOCK SENSOR IS USED ON 1987 EFI 5.0 H.O. WITH AOD...I HAVE NOT HAD TIME TO LOCATE YET..I WILL LET YOUKNOW IF AND WHEN I LOCATE..I HAVE ALSO BEEN ON THE INTERNET AND HAVE FOUND SEVERAL SITES SELLING THE SENSOR.. JUST GOOGLE KNOCK SENSORS AND SEVERAL SITES WILL APPEAR....AL
They also show it for '86 and '88+ at http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...d/mustang.html but, that's parts catalogs misinformation, same as the parts catalog showing a downstream set of O2's (post-cat) for '94-'95 5.0L Mustangs that they don't use. The EEC-IV strategy for the different SD Mustang systems (manual or auto) does not include the use of a KS, nor is it shown as a failure code in the system, or is part of the wiring and hardware (reason for the diagrams shown)....unless it's a 4 cylinder Mustang.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:42 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

i'm lost in this thread but the CAPS LOCK should be off.....thanks
Old 09-20-2006, 07:12 PM
jockoal

I checked with ford and found indeed my vehicle uses a knock sensor..it is located on the right rear of the intake manifold....1987 mustang 5.0 h.o. with aod trans..when i had the engine changed i also changed intakes, i asked to have my original manifolds returned..upon inspection today i found the sensor still in my original manifold in the right rear location..i did not know until today that this was the knock sensor, since most knock sensors are located on the side of the engine block.....know i only have to find the computer wire and attach hopefully the sensor is still good, if not buy new no big deal..if anyone knows what the wire color code from sensor to cpu, would appreciate data, as i think they may have snipped it when changing components...its good news anyway as know i know why engine power has been so poor at higher speeds..cant wait to hear an engine ping..al

Quick Reply: knock sensor question