5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

noobie needs help!!! (engine)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:07 AM
carjam

Default RE: noobie needs help!!! (engine)

Hey thinks alot for all the info guys. I feel that i am going to go with the 351w. Thanks to the guys who emailed me other info and answered my questions. I live in michigan and found a ford builder in Detroit last night. This is what he emailed me today:
For your engine I can do a easy 400 horse 400 foot pound windsor for 4700.
This come with equal flowing aluminum heads as the AFRs
Roller cam
9 to 1 compression setup for blower down the road
forged pistons
Trick flow intake with light porting
Roller rockers
MSD distributor
This is all new engine.
Flywheels are 125.
I am not blowing smoke for sure we build these engine all the time.

For another $700 it can be a stroker windsor with 408 or 427cid. This would add a ton of power and reliability since you moving to steel rods and steel crank.

Let me know!
I will not post his company cause im not certain i am allowed to do it in forums

I have since emailed him on the type of heads he has choosen. Does this sound like a good deal? or should i shop around some more?
As far as the frame i know i will have to strengthen it quite a bit but it is a project car so i have the time. I want it all to be perfect and i dont mind waiting out the time and doing the research on things. As of now it is going in to get a new conv. top and i am having the white leather and panels changed to 2-tone color man that's more than i thought it would be
Old 09-21-2006, 12:22 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Default RE: noobie needs help!!! (engine)

ORIGINAL: carjam

Hey thinks alot for all the info guys. I feel that i am going to go with the 351w. Thanks to the guys who emailed me other info and answered my questions. I live in michigan and found a ford builder in Detroit last night. This is what he emailed me today:
For your engine I can do a easy 400 horse 400 foot pound windsor for 4700.
This come with equal flowing aluminum heads as the AFRs
Roller cam
9 to 1 compression setup for blower down the road
forged pistons
Trick flow intake with light porting
Roller rockers
MSD distributor
This is all new engine.
Flywheels are 125.
I am not blowing smoke for sure we build these engine all the time.

For another $700 it can be a stroker windsor with 408 or 427cid. This would add a ton of power and reliability since you moving to steel rods and steel crank.
Let me know!
I will not post his company cause im not certain i am allowed to do it in forums

I have since emailed him on the type of heads he has choosen. Does this sound like a good deal? or should i shop around some more?
As far as the frame i know i will have to strengthen it quite a bit but it is a project car so i have the time. I want it all to be perfect and i dont mind waiting out the time and doing the research on things. As of now it is going in to get a new conv. top and i am having the white leather and panels changed to 2-tone color man that's more than i thought it would be
Actually the $$$ he quoted doesnt sound all that bad to me, but i would have some questions... If i read this post right, he will build you a non-stroker w/ 400 hp? That, i believe is at the crank no? Then a few bucks more to stroke it? The price doesnt sound all that bad for having someone build the engine for you.... but make sure he can provide examples of his work... the major question i have is the 9:1 compression "setup for blower down the road"... I'll let others comment on that, but that seems a little much compression if your going to put a blower on it later.... oh, one more thing... if you do stroke it, stop at 408... more that that an youre askin for problems... [:-]