5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

rough idle/loping

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 12:14 AM
ponyrde1010

Default rough idle/loping

i recently modified my 94 gt. i went to a 308/306 short block with semi ported heads, a performance cam, and a high performance intake.i also have a flowmaster exhaust system, however the car is not idling correctly and lopes. my mechanic said i needed a chip to make it run right because of the cam but i called the guys who designed the cam(anderson ford) and they said that my car will work with the cam. i didnt know what to do so i took it to my dealer for a diagnostic. according to the diagnostic that the tech ran on it, it is running 25% lean. tech says nothing else is wrong with the car,vaccumm leaks,timing ect.- except that i need different injectors. as i was leaving ford a different tech(the service guy that i dropped the car with) suggested that i might need in addition, a different fuel pump, better exhaust and a chip! i ordered some 24lb injectors from summit racing and they indicated that my stock fuel pump would be sufficient. does anybody know if my stock fuel pump is going to work for sure with these injectors? i keep getting conflicting opinions between my mechanic, the product manufactuers, and ford
Old 07-14-2004, 06:16 AM
horatio102
4th Gear Member

Default RE: rough idle/loping

What cam? The ford dealer "designed" it? If it came from a ford dealer it's probably one of the alphabet cams. I've got an F303 in mine, and yes it idled pretty choppy.

I'm running 30 lb injectors in mine with the stock fuel pump but an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, since the injectors specified a different baseline pressure than stock. if/when I get the forced induction, I'll look hard at getting a new pump.

If you're really running that lean, you need to do something about it. Are you running the stock MAF? if so you'll want to get one calibrated for the 24lb injectors. How old are your O2 sensors?

To get my car to idle without stalling I fiddled with the dashpot decay rate, increased the idle to about 850-900rpm, loaded the MAF transfer and told the EEC that I was running 30lb injectors. It doesn't even think about stalling now.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:47 AM
sc94gt
3rd Gear Member

After installing 6lbs of boost to my 94 GT I had a similar idling problem.
It did a lot of hunting... diving down to 500 rpm (really close to stalling) and jumping to 1,000 rpm... back and forth like that.
When I turned on the AC it help the idle problem temporarily till I found a solution.
I finally solved it by adjusting the throttle plate screw located right on the top of the throttle body... opened it up till it smoothed out at about 800 rpm.
You can see the that the bottom of the screw is actually facing up. Turn the screw from underneath (toward the passenger side of the windshield) to open the plate more.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:37 AM
ponyrde1010

the cam is an N41anderson ford motorsport. so i got the 24lb injectors and installed them last night. i called the tech at ford to ask him if i needed to recalibrate the maf because the stock injectors were 19lbs. he said if i disconnected the battery for 20min the car would reset itself. is that true? anyways after i installed the new injectors the car still would not idle correctly. i rechecked my hoses and lines to the intake to make sure that i did not miss something when i put it back together. i was about to pull my own hair out this morning when i dropped it off for ac service (because the idling problem was really getting to me) and the guy that worked there offered to take a look at my idling prob. i hesitantly left my car with him. later he called and said that it was fixed(idling well), and that it was the tps boot. i pick it up tomorrow, i sure hope he is right. if not, ill be back. thanks for your replies.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:20 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

great news man let us know how it goes
Old 07-16-2004, 09:14 PM
sc94gt
3rd Gear Member

Where is the TPS boot located?
Old 07-17-2004, 12:17 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

I think he meant that it was the TPS TO boot. THere's no such thing as a TPS boot.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:24 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ponyrde1010

the cam is an N41anderson ford motorsport. so i got the 24lb injectors and installed them last night. i called the tech at ford to ask him if i needed to recalibrate the maf because the stock injectors were 19lbs. he said if i disconnected the battery for 20min the car would reset itself. is that true? anyways after i installed the new injectors the car still would not idle correctly. i rechecked my hoses and lines to the intake to make sure that i did not miss something when i put it back together. i was about to pull my own hair out this morning when i dropped it off for ac service (because the idling problem was really getting to me) and the guy that worked there offered to take a look at my idling prob. i hesitantly left my car with him. later he called and said that it was fixed(idling well), and that it was the tps boot. i pick it up tomorrow, i sure hope he is right. if not, ill be back. thanks for your replies.
WRONG - the mass air meter needs to be calibrated for your 19lb injectors - don't ever talk to that Ford tech again he's feeding you mis-information. Lol, re-setting the battery will calibrate your meter for those new injectors, you will run like pure crap and your A/F will blow nuts. You're lucky its even idleing at all, you need to get a meter calibrated for those injectors or take them out.

And the TPS is located on the throttle body oposite the throttle linkage. It sends voltage to the CPU letting it know how much your pressing the gas pedal, if the TPS voltage is out of the correct range or has dead spots then your gonna get a loopy idle. Other things can cause it too, but thats usually the reason.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:21 AM
ponyrde1010

Who sent me to modification hell and why? I've been a good girl! Today when I p/u my car it was just as bad. It would not idle. On my way home from the shop there was a little smoke and I constantly had to keep my foot on the accelerator to keep an dle. The "expert" at that place thought that my MAF might be bad. The harness wires were frayed and bunched together. I unbunched them so that they were not touching and then I did a voltmeter test on the MAF and it showed .1 when back probing the sensor so I thought it might be bad. I replaced it and when I went to start the car, it made this awful sound like a crunch or some grinding sound. I think it may be the starter(i hope), but the starter is refurbished and newly installed. I hope it is the starter but to make sure I guess I will try to turn the crankshaft manually to see if the engine seized. I am beside myself. Everything is new. So I should get the MAF recalibrated? Do I have to send it away? I don't know what to do. There's not even any place that does custom engines around my lil town.
I am really aggrivated because the guy that installed my engine says it needs a chip to idle properly,however, DSS(short block), Anderson Ford (cam)Motorsport,and my Ford dealership says that it doesn't need one. Any suggestions?
Old 07-17-2004, 02:30 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

those 94-95 cars don't take to changes very well you need some dyno time to burn a chip for ya it's the only way to get the max out of your hard work in the engine...a tweecer r/t is a nice chip

Quick Reply: rough idle/loping