5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Thinking about going to the track.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Sk8trfred
2nd Gear Member

Default Thinking about going to the track.

ok well as U know I'm thinking about going to the track. I just found out that I have this friday off and I'd like to take the car before this season ends just so I know what it "ran" before I do the work. but I need some work to it 1st. I need to get:
1) radiator overflow can

2) seat belts (i know it's weird but it didn't come w/ the buckles) lol

3) clutch switch (i need to know where I can get one aftermarket, I've seen someone w/ one that used to be a 5 speed but used an aftermarket switch to use the pedal for the trans brake) where can I get one?

4) throw-out bearing (it was making noise when I bought the car, the kid said he had been riding around w/ it like that for a few months. now I've owned it a month and the noise hasn't gotten any worse. should I change it 1st or leave it? I wouldn't even think twice about changing it except the exhaust is welded and I have no way to get it all done on friday. I work every other day till 6pm and everything is close then. I'm thinking about cutting the exhaust and then putting a larger piece over both cut ends and clamping it. but I onlt have that one day and I still need to find the parts. anyway would it be okay if I left the throw out bearing in for this day and where can I find an aftermarket clutch switch thx for the help. and if I do go I'll be posting sat w/ the results.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking about going to the track.

I don't get what you mean by clutch switch. Like the button that most people hold for the transbrake? Trans brakes are for automatics... and your mods you say you have a centerforce clutch, which you would have a stick, correct? So I don't know why you would need a "clutch switch"

For the catch can you can goto summitracing.com and get a universal one forself, if your car is missing the stock fan shroud. Their shipping from there is super fast, so if you order today you could have it on Friday and could make everything fit for going down to the track on Saturday. Either that or go look for the stock overflow bottle from a junkyard.

Seat belts, I would just go to a junkyard for that probably.

For the throwout bearing, that requires a lot of work to get that out and put it in, you need to drop your trans and stuff to get to it. I ran my car with my throwout bearing making noise, but then again mine was basically stock at the time with just bolt ons, so I don't thing I was really making all the much power in the first place, and second I never really was able to hook well my 60's were around 2.0-2.2. Take that as you will, if you think your bearing is going to go, don't risk breaking it for a "before number" and just change it out when you finish doing what you're doing for the winter.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Sk8trfred
2nd Gear Member

yes the car is a stick but it used to be carb so everything was changed over and the stock clutch safety switch isn't there. so I can sart w/o depressing the cluch (not safe for track) I really don't think the bearing is going to let go and as far and the work I can do the job in about 2hrs tops. I know I'm going to the junk yard for the belts and the overflow. my car is pretty much stock so I'm not too worried about the bearing it's I do beat the **** out of her on occassion so I know it'll handle it I just wanted some reassurance if you will. I just need to know where I can get a clutch switch to fix my problem. also do I need the Parking brake to race at the track? I don't think so but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:49 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

You know... I've never gone to the track and actually have them get in my car and start it up or anything, mainly what they did was popped my hood, asked me what I thought it would run, checked my helmet, and made sure my seat was sturdy. The did also check my seatbelts one time, but if it looks mostly stock then they won't tech the Sh#t out of you. Now my brother on the other hand, his car is all in primer and looks like a beater etc. and boy do they give him a hard time at the tech line. Think of it like being arab going thru the airport with your turban on and getting "randomly selected for additional screening" but instead depending on how your car looks on the outside/inside.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Sk8trfred
2nd Gear Member

I've gone before w/ a saab and then actually made me try to start the car w/o using the clutch. I just want to be sure cuz it's about 1 1/2 hrs away and I don't wanna drive that far for nothing.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

Hmmm yea, that would be a waste.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Sk8trfred
2nd Gear Member

ok well I just went out to look and I found the wire that are suposed to go the the switch but no switch and the wires are jumped. if the car was an automatic at one time how hard will it be to put an OEM switch in?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Sk8trfred
2nd Gear Member

someone has to know about this switch?