5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rebuilding 5.0 help please..

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 11:19 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Default Rebuilding 5.0 help please..

Took this 5.0 that I recently acquired apart.. Oops, some background.. Bought it, apparently had a 'recent rebuild' and a bigger cam (Looks doubtful), and assorted other stuff.. I don't really knwo waht I'm looking for in this engine, but.. anyways, Did a leakdown test.. about 10% in all cylinders except 8, which had about 30.. So I ripped the heads off, and found a really oily valve.. For the time being, I'm going to assume thats my problem.. So, since I was in this far and rather curious (Stupid?) I pulled the piston out.. There was a ridge at the top, tried to use a ridge reamer, no dice, that just kind of gouged below the ring (haven't figured out why it did that either.. Blade was flat.. anyways).. Don't think the gouge is enough to harm anything, but the fact that there is a ridge (on half the cylinder, closer ot the top) leads me to believe a recent rebuild isn't that rebuild.. especially considering they are the stock forged pistons (1988). All the gaskets were new however, looks semi clean in there.. Funny thing is, on the #1-#4 bank, there is no ridge and doesn't seem to be much wear.. That normal? So anyways, I was going to just hone the cylinders and buy new rings, but some people have told me don't use new rings on an unbored cylinders.. But a Hayes manual I was just reading says always use new rings when putting cylinders back in. A bore isn't in the cards right now, seeing as I still have the rest of the car to assemble, maybe later.. Is it a bad idea to just hone and use new rings? Wouldn't new rings be slightly wider than the old worn ones anyways and help a bit? Someone told me it will smash against the ridge (I'd take donw the ridge anyways) and will smash in the cylinder because it's oval shapes now... I haven't measured the bore yet, but wouldn't a ring just contort to the shape of the cylinders anyways? What do you guys think. A rering kit is about $200 from summit.. Even that is pushing the budget considering I still have the rest of the car to go (1967 fastback).. Basically, it comes down to, reuse old rings, or put new rings on.. What about studs? Ahh.. Help please..
Old 09-20-2006, 12:21 PM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Rebuilding 5.0 help please..

reringit alotta times you can put a lilo ver sized rings instead of boring cylinders...some cylinders may have more ridge..not unusual.. hone it makes it smooth..wont make a difference..make sure shop know u wanna use old standerd pistons....when they hone itthey remove ridge...when you gouge a cylinder to the eye dont seeem much but were talkin a .1000 of a inch measuring here ..is a lot when come to a motor and proper seal... i recommend honing and see if they recommend standerd rings or over sized... good luck..
Old 09-20-2006, 01:52 PM
JohnnyK
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rebuilding 5.0 help please..

With oversized rings means oversized pistons. That is definately no in the cards right now.