5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Newbie here and already have a ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 09:45 AM
ParrotHead
2nd Gear Member

Default Newbie here and already have a ?

Hi all. New to the forum here. Hope that I do not ask a question that has been answered a million times but I am wondering about MODS. I have a 95GT and I am going to start on it soon. I have restrored and built up a 68GT fastback and never had a problem with the motor. Now that I am working on something with a conputer I am worried that all the MODS that I am going to put on will not work due to the computer. MODS that I am going to put on soon as a MAS, throttle body, headers with an H-pipe and full exhuast with flow masters. 3.73 gears. On the gear subject, what odometer gear am I going to have to use in it now? Someday I want to change the upper and lower intake. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:34 PM
89vertgt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie here and already have a ?

I'm not positive, but I think the stock computer will not hinder those MODS....but you may think about getting a programmable computer chip...that would ease your worries
Old 07-15-2004, 02:16 AM
ParrotHead
2nd Gear Member

Hey, thanks. I will do the work on it soon and hope all turns out well. If not I will spend the money on a programable chip. Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:29 AM
sc94gt
3rd Gear Member

I have the same model type as you, Parrothead.
What kind of headers are you going to install?
I just installed equal length stubbies on mine. They were a tight fit, but oh so sweet!

If I had to do it all over again I would have gone to Aubuchan Hardware and got some allen head bolts, instead on using the regualr supplied header bolts.
They were so hard to torque down or even get a torque wrench on them at all.
Disconnect the steerling and come up with the headers from the driver side.
I came down from the top with the headers on the passenger side.

If you go with the "paper" type gasket, soak them in water an hour before you put them on... they seat better that way.

Of course, you probably know all of these tips, since you've already restored a whole car before!
But, it's just the details I've found with our particular model.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:47 AM
ParrotHead
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure what header and exhaust combo I'm going to use yet. Still researching that one. Price Vs. performance, the age old debate. Now I have a clutch problem, to top it off I think that I have something going in the rear end so the other MODS that I want to do now might get shelved for a month or two so I can get the tranny and rear end working correctly. King Cobra clutch, U-Joints, and 3.73 gears are now coming before the others. Thanks for the input!
Old 07-16-2004, 12:21 AM
Quatrocky
2nd Gear Member

i have a 94 same as 95 pretty much. i have some bbk equal shorties, they looked like there crammed in there pretty good and i used the stock bolts. i like them and all but if i were to get new ones i would look for some ceramic coated equal length ones they look good . only cause i have an auto i thought they would give me a meaner sound, but they didnt do much for that.